Beth Israel Lahey Health Intake Associate in Woburn, Massachusetts
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Day (United States of America)
The Intake Associate (IA) works in a supportive role to the Intake department and other management personnel as assigned by receiving and coordinating referrals to BILH at Home from affiliated and outside physicians, hospitals, facilities and other community referral sources. This role assists in various administrative, clerical and clinical functions during the processing of EMR charts, active patient orders and communication with other departments regarding patient status changes/updates. The IA also assists in typing a variety of documents, creating communications emails for internal/external partners, preparing reports, as well as participating in special projects when needed.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities including but not limited to:
• Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers and patients.
• Communicates with clinicians and staff on behalf of the Intake Department or other management personnel as assigned.
• Understands and integrates relevant home health standards, regulations and practices to make decisions regarding appropriateness for care.
• Responsible for triaging intake calls, will screen and accept/decline low acuity referrals, for higher acuity- Intake Associate will screen initial qualifying data and transfer call to nursing staff for review
• Intake Associate will be responsible for notifying MD offices as appropriate for declined referrals, tracking declines on spreadsheet, and documenting in Epic as needed. Intake Associate will provide alternative VNA contact information to the referral source if requested based on the BILH preferred provider list.
• Intake Associate will share responsibility with clinical staff for tracking hospitalized patients, including the Epic hospital list, responding to emails to confirm hospitalizations if outside of Epic system, email hospital/transfer information to clinical team, updating transfers in Epic, notifying case manager at facilities as appropriate
• Provide assistance to clinical staff managing efax assignment – call facilities to confirm discharge, confirm or update discharge dates on spreadsheet. Request orders as needed. Upon confirmation of discharge, the Intake Associate will create initial episode to be completed by clinical staff upon arrival of complete MD orders.
• Share responsibility with clinical team for email management, creating insurance change episodes and alternative billing charts as needed
• Work 1:1 with RN liaisons to process low acuity referrals; high acuity referrals such as IV’s to be reviewed by licensed intake staff prior to completion
• Develops positive relationships for new and existing referral sources, including physician offices, hospitals and rehab facilities. Collaborates BILH at Home liaisons in outreach efforts.
• Acts as a resource to referrers, staff, families and patients to develop solutions for excellent patient care.
• Develops and maintains relationships with referrers through telephonic contact and occasional meetings to ensure quality services
• Performs general office duties, such as faxing, copying, answering telephones, etc.
• Coordinates projects and special events as needed.
• Train other Intake Associates as needed.
• Orients new staff to office equipment and procedures.
• Participates in agency committees as needed.
• May perform branch receptionist duties as needed.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Communicates with the physician or referral source regarding the patient’s needs and obtains/receives physician’s orders as required.
Attends regular agency and team meetings per Intake Manager/designee as needed.
Provides timely communication to Clinical Managers whenever there are unusual requests or complex situations/orders.
Communicates with other disciplines on the care team and community providers to coordinate the care plan (i.e. Insurance case managers, high risk case managers, elder services, protective service, etc).
Practices confidentiality principles set by the agency and federal HIPAA guidelines.
Must have attention to detail when taking, processing and documenting referral requests throughout the intake process.
Proficiency with common office software programs and ability to learn other software products including, but not limited to Epic and E-Discharge.
Completes documentation in accordance with agency timeliness policies.
• Maintain strict adherence to the Continuing Care Confidentiality policy.
• Incorporate Continuing Care Standards of Behavior and Guiding Principles into daily activities
• Comply with all Continuing Care Policies.
• Maintain courteous and effective interactions with colleagues and patients.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the job description, performance expectations, and competency assessment.
• Demonstrate a commitment toward meeting and exceeding the needs of our customers and consistently adheres to Customer Service standards.
• Participate in departmental and/or interdepartmental meetings and quality improvement activities.
• Participate in and successfully completes Mandatory Education.
• Perform all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
• Associate’s degree preferred or High School diploma with additional training and experience equivalent to AS degree in a healthcare setting.
Licensure, Certification & Registration:
• None Required
• 1-2 years’ experience in Health Care preferred.
• Proficiency with MS Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
• Proven organizational skills and previous experience working in a detail-oriented position.
• Demonstrates excellent observation and problem solving/critical thinking skills.
• Demonstrated customer service and strong interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to interface well with other departments in a timely and professional manner.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team on multiple and varied tasks/assignments.
• Attention to detail; accuracy and ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks.
• Ability to cross-train into other office functions as needed.
• Proven experience in office administration and health care industry is desired.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more (https://www.bilh.org/newsroom/bilh-to-require-covid-19-influenza-vaccines-for-all-clinicians-staff-by-oct-31) about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Beth Israel Lahey Health
- Beth Israel Lahey Health Jobs