Lahey Health Cytotechnologist, (CT), ASCP, Sign On Bonus $5000 in Woburn, Massachusetts
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by screening pap and non-GYN tests as requested in physician orders. This professional position impacts patient care by performing and triaging accurate tests as prescribed by the physician in a timely manner so clinicians receive accurate result enabling them to provide the best possible care.
Bachelor’s degree in a science field required, or grandfathered qualifications
Completion of a CAAHEP accredited cytotechnology program.
Grandfathered Qualifications (A or B):
A. 2-year science degree and evidence of working experience in a clinical setting prior to 1980.
B. CT Certification (HEW or military) acquired prior to 1980
Experience Preferred: ThinPrep Pap Test training, HOLOGIC Imager training
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS
Required : ASCP (Cytotechnologist) certification
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS
Professional Commitment Requirements: Keep abreast of developments in the field and/or licensure through continuing education, participation in professional organizations or a combination of both.
On-call: May be required in case of staff shortages
Schedule requirements: May be expected to cover alternative shifts in cases of staff shortages. Based on workload weekend shifts may be requested.
Travel requirements: Expected to rotate between core lab and hospital.
As part of the Laboratory team, this position requires a Cytotechnologist to be able to do the following:
· Depending on lab staffing, prepares non-GYN and GYN specimens for evaluation by following established protocols. Ensures specimen integrity throughout the process. Attend fine needle aspiration (FNA) procedures when necessary.
· Utilizing a microscope, screens ThinPrep slides manually and by using automated instrumentation, which requires fine motor coordination and manual dexterity. Identifies cellular changes caused by the disease process. Provide diagnosis and triages slides for further review as necessary.
· Screens non-GYN slides to provide a primary diagnosis and triage slides and findings to pathologist for final diagnosis and sign out.
· Troubleshoot test anomalies and system problems in a logical manner to ensure accurate tests.
· Performs quality control checks and equipment maintenance, adhering to high quality standards.
· Responds to supply and equipment issues timely to ensure optimum operations and equipment quality and long-term equipment maintenance and life.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment presenting a professional impression of facilities and fostering our culture of safety.
· Reviews supplies inventory, communicates supply needs and rotates supplies when new stocking is received.
· Reviews and sign-outs quality control and patient results into the electronic medical records system in a timely manner so clinicians and patients get their results as quickly a possible. Expedites results to pathologists for stat and rush cases.
Takes status and result requests and other questions from patients and clinicians in a timely and professional manner.
Maintain documentation, reports and quality checks to ensure the laboratory is in compliance with regulatory agencies, accreditation and Hospital policies and procedures.
· Assess the accuracy of the typed information by comparing the information on requisition with the information on the cytology worksheet
· Maintains reports to verify optimal operational performance.
· In the absence of the Supervisor, may be the technologist in charge of the shift, resolving operational and clinical issues in a timely manner. Addresses immediate performance concerns and communicates issues to the Supervisor as appropriate.
For Cytotechnologists with at least 3 years of full-time experience as a cytotechnologist within the preceding 10 years.
Perform QC and QAR screening when needed
Hours: 40/ Full-Time
Beth Israel Lahey Health is d edicated to improving health and wellness and making a difference in the lives of our patients, their families and all members of the communities we serve. Formed in March 2019, Beth Israel Lahey Health is a patient-centered, integrated care delivery system providing a continuum of services spanning academic, tertiary and community hospitals, dedicated orthopedic and psychiatric hospitals, primary and specialty care, community acute care, ambulatory care, behavioral services and home health. Beth Israel Lahey Health Performance Network is a unified joint contracting and population health management organization, jointly governed by participating physicians and hospitals.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
- Lahey Health Jobs