Beth Israel Lahey Health Patient Transporter, Per Diem in Winchester, Massachusetts
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Rotating (United States of America)
Contributes to the Hospital’s mission by supporting our clinical teams in transporting our patients to various departments during their stay and upon discharge. This clinical support staff position will have an impact on safety, patient throughput and patient satisfaction by responding to transport requests in a timely manner and carefully transporting patients with empathy, respect and reassurance.
Consistent with the PROMISE principles and inherent in a hospital environment, employees must be flexible in meeting patients’ and the Hospital’s needs. While the list below describes the primary functions of this job, all employees at Winchester Hospital need to recognize that an essential element of their job is the ability to respond to unanticipated and/or changing situations. This may result in assuming responsibilities or tasks which are not on this list.
As part of the Volunteer department team, this position:
● Rounds the hospital to assess transport inventory and moves equipment to optimize operations and to maximize patient throughput.
● Greets and informs patient of move process and identifies patient making the patient feel informed and comforted, fulfilling all safety and quality checks and procedures.
● Moves furniture around to accommodate the stretcher and/or wheelchair.
● Involves clinical staff in transferring patient from the bed to the stretcher or wheelchair.
● Pushes patient and the patient’s medical chart to the various departments within the hospital conveying empathy and reassurance while caring for the patient’s dignity, comfort and safety.
● Notifies the receiving department upon arrival and conducts a thorough hand off. Returns to the patient and explains the next steps. Stays with the patient if additional comfort or supervision is appropriate.
● Transports select patients upon discharge, waiting for their transportation, and assisting them into their vehicle if necessary, ending the patient’s stay with a friendly note.
● Prioritizes multiple transport requests to optimize patient throughput, reducing wait times to improve patient and family members’ satisfaction. Communicates with the requesting departments to collaborate on resolving transport conflicts.
● Listens for pages regarding medical codes and retrieves a fresh code cart to replenish the involved department’s ensuring the department has access to this emergent tool. Moves code carts to multiple departments to appropriately replenish the carts’ supplies.
● Moves patient care equipment and other materials. Delivers items throughout the hospital, as needed, including but not limited to laboratory specimens and pharmacy supplies.
● Responds to equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
Preferred: High School Diploma or equivalent
Preferred: Prior patient care experience
● Excellent skills in interpersonal relations
● Organizational and customer service skills
● Ability to work independently and to set priorities
● For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, their family members, visitors, and fellow members of the hospital team
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS: N/A
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED : Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS : N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS :
Schedule requirements: Based on department needs
Travel requirements: N/A
● Reports to the Director of Volunteer Services
● Not responsible for supervising the work of others
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS/CONDITIONS
● The employee needs to have the physical and mental abilities to perform the duties of the position listed above using the PROMISE behaviors.
● It is anticipated that the employee will have contact with blood, bodily fluids or other potentially infectious materials while performing their job duties.
● The list below is intended to describe the physical and sensory ability requirements of the position; however those requirements may vary, sometimes considerably, based on meeting patient and operational needs.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more (https://www.bilh.org/newsroom/bilh-to-require-covid-19-influenza-vaccines-for-all-clinicians-staff-by-oct-31) about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Beth Israel Lahey Health
- Beth Israel Lahey Health Jobs