Lahey Health PACU Associate in Winchester, Massachusetts
Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Working under the direction of a nurse, this staff position contributes to the Hospital’s mission by performing clinical support functions which provide for the care, comfort and safety of patient while the patient is recovering from surgery. Also assist the unit in optimizing the unit’s efficiency.
· High school diploma or G.E.D.
· Certified Nursing Assistant or a nursing student with completion of two clinical rotations or equivalent education or one year clinical care experience
· Basic computer skills
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
Preferred: Certified Nursing Assistant
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Basic Life Support
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Infants, Children, Adolescents, Adults, & Geriatrics
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Schedule requirements: N/A
Travel requirements: N/A
· Reports to Nurse Manager
· Works under the direction of a nurse.
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Patient Care Services team, this position:
· Provides quality and safe patient care under the direction of a nurse, utilizing compassion, empathy, and
respect to collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team to achieve expected outcomes.
· Welcomes family members and significant others and orients them to the environment.
· Performs required tasks including but not limited to:
o Retrieves items at the request of nurse in an effort to improve patient care and the patient’s comfort.
o Pushes patient and the patient’s medical chart to the various departments within the hospital, conveying empathy and reassurance while caring for the patient’s dignity, comfort and safety.
o Obtains vital signs and attaches monitors and other recovery equipment.
o Cleans and makes stretchers to expedite turnover.
o Sets up/breaks down room ensuring expedient turnaround time and a neat environment.
o Performs EKG testing
o Perform glucose monitoring and other point of care testing
o Draws blood, labels and transports to Laboratory Services.
o Retrieving and signing out blood products.
o Maintains appropriate supplies for each bay and the unit, addressing inventory issues in a timely manner and recommends appropriate par levels.
o Repositioning and ambulating patients.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Coordinates work schedule with departmental supervisor to provide coverage and maintain safe staffing levels.
· Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
· Communicates effectively with the healthcare team utilizing established handoff procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
· Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes the infection control protocols.
· Adheres to quality and safety guidelines and communicates near-miss or potential risks utilizing performance improvement methodologies.
· Responds to equipment issues in a timely manner to ensure availability of equipment and to maximize its useful life.
· Functions effectively in patient crisis situations and utilizes emergency resources. Assists in preparation of patient for transport to appropriate level of care.
· Maximizes patient throughput to minimize wait time.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
- Lahey Health Jobs