Beth Israel Lahey Health OR Attendant (Per Diem) Surgical Services in Winchester, Massachusetts
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Day (United States of America)
Working under the direction of nursing contributes to the Hospital’s mission to care to heal and to excel in service to our community by assisting the surgical services team in preparing rooms, transporting patients, and performing other functions to optimize the efficiency of the Operating Room department. This clinical-support position impacts reducing patient harm by thoroughly cleaning rooms between procedures and on patient satisfaction by professionally and empathetically supporting patients as they enter the surgical environment and minimizing turnaround times.
· High school diploma or G.E.D.
· Basic Life Support (BLS)
· Basic computer skills
· Knowledge of surgical equipment and procedures
Schedule requirements: May be required to stay beyond shift based on patient needs.
As part of the Patient Care Services – Surgical Services team and under the direction of nursing, this position:
Performs required tasks including but not limited to:
· Follows the standards and practices of AORN and Infection Control within the sterile operating room environment under the guidance of the OR staff.
· Assists with positioning patients under the direction of nursing, surgeon, and anesthesia providers.
· Thoroughly cleans operating rooms between procedures, including equipment, walls, lighting, and floor. Collecting and disposing of medical waste, including blood, tissue, and bodily fluids. Preparing rooms for the following procedure ensures expedient turnaround time and a neat environment.
· Cleaning and making stretchers/beds to expedite turnover. Retrieving beds and stretchers from other units based on perioperative areas’ needs.
· Retrieving and signing out blood products.
· Processes and Delivers specimens and tissue to specified areas as requested.
· Retrieves and Sets Up equipment as needed for surgical procedures.
· Retrieving items at the request of a nurse to improve patient care and the team’s efficiency.
· Pushes patient and the patient’s medical chart from the various departments within the hospital, conveying empathy and reassurance while caring for the patient’s dignity, comfort, and safety.
· Crossed trained to clean and disinfect anesthesia equipment.
· Performs EKGs, blood Point of Care, and other tests and basic procedures.
· Provides personal care and hygiene to patients as needed.
· Has incidental access to medications.
· Appropriately follows the chain of command and adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
· Communicates effectively with the healthcare team utilizing established handoff and patient identification procedures. Gives and accepts respectful feedback to enhance teamwork.
· Functions effectively in patient crises and utilizes emergency resources.
· Minimizes preventable harm events and consistently executes infection control protocols.
· Adheres to quality and safety guidelines and communicates near-miss or potential risks utilizing performance improvement methodologies.
· Maintains a clean and safe work environment to enhance patient satisfaction and a culture of safety.
· Coordinates work schedule with departmental supervisor to provide coverage.
· Maintains appropriate inventory levels for the unit, promptly addresses inventory issues, and places orders as needed.
· Stocks linen carts, blanket warmers, suction containers, and other non-sterile supplies to ensure the efficiency of the operating room area.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more (https://www.bilh.org/newsroom/bilh-to-require-covid-19-influenza-vaccines-for-all-clinicians-staff-by-oct-31) about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Beth Israel Lahey Health
- Beth Israel Lahey Health Jobs