Baystate Health Transport Technician- Per Diem in Westfield, Massachusetts
Reports to the Clinical Nurse manager. The Transport Technician performs a variety of duties including but not limited to; simple mobilization, assisting in transferring and preparing ambulatory patients for transport; transporting specimens in locked containers only; transporting medications from inpatient pharmacy to units; wheelchairs, stretchers and beds to units; under direction of registered nurse transporting non-critical patients to test procedures, room transfers and discharges. Transporting patients and various items throughout the hospital; cleaning assigned equipment used for patient transport, as required. The Transport Technician works collaboratively with others in patient/family - focused care teams.
Transport Technician must demonstrate success in precepting and mentoring new employees.
The Transport Technician must follow the Baystate Health Operating Principles of Communication, Collaboration, Trust, Integrity and Respect. Must practice a service oriented approach to their work which includes liaising with unit staff and working as part of an overall care giving team for hospital patients. The Transport Technician is expected to engage with patients and visitors in a positive and helpful manner at all times. Should act as a steward of hospital resources and practice a commitment to continuous improvement by participating in audits and identifying recommendations for improvement.
Transport Technicians must have the ability to prioritize work assignments, work in a fast-paced environment and interact with peers, clerical staff, nurses and other health care professionals.
The Transport Technician may be required to perform other similar and related duties in a proactive manner under direction from leadership. Management has the right to change/add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Performs a variety of duties including but not limited to; simple mobilization, assisting in transferring and preparing ambulatory patients for transport; transporting medications from inpatient pharmacy to units; wheelchairs, stretchers and beds to units; transporting non-critical patients to test procedures, room transfers and discharges. transporting patients and various items throughout the hospital; cleaning assigned equipment used for patient transport, as required.
2) Excellent customer service skills. High level of interpersonal skills required.
Provides for patient comfort and safety. Assists patients with ambulation and positioning.
3) Ability to work towards defined objectives with a minimum amount of supervision. High level of skill in organizing and prioritizing work.
4) Remove and clean equipment after patient use. Maintains order in storage areas. Perform other departmental duties as required.
5) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
6) Observes all health and safety requirements including body substances requirements including body substances precautions.
7) Assists with unit transportation needs to include on/off stretchers for patients arriving/leaving unit.
8) Rounds with all units to assess the need for stretchers, wheelchairs. Participates in projects as required and communicates effectively with team and patients.
9) Takes pride in appearance and follows all applicable grooming standards. Represents department and Baystate Medical Center in a positive light.
10) Completes daily standing weights on patients and reports to PCT or RN to put in CIS.
11) Properly washes hands in accordance with departmental infection control standards.
12) Maintains effective working relationships with peers, quests and other hospital employees that reflects mutual respect, professionalism and courtesy. Promotes good rapport with customers and guests.
13) Employee anticipates operational needs of the department and displays teamwork in assisting fellow employees. Employee demonstrates flexibility in being moved from one assigned position to another to achieve proper departmental productivity.
14) Employee identifies a need to assist patient/customer and utilizes resources within his/her authority to help.
15) Provides patient comfort and safety; assist patient with ambulation and positioning under the direction of RN
Employee identifies a need to assist patient/customer and utilizes resources within his/her authority to help.
High level of interpersonal skills.
Must read, speak, write and understand English.
Work independently with minimal supervision.
Good communication skills.
Ability to be flexible.
Basic computer skills require
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET
Basic Life Support - American Heart Association
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs