Baystate Health Infection Control Practitioner in Westfield, Massachusetts
Reports to the Director of Patient Care Services. Duties include support of infection prevention and control programs, both within Baystate Reference Laboratories and for Nursing Homes and other clients of BRL. Collaborate with BRL Business Development staff in developing and maintaining excellent relationships with clients. Track culture and infectious disease data, develop and maintain data bases and produce reports as required; Provide consultative and educational service for specified clients of BRL. Ensure BRL compliance with regulations for reporting of specified communicable diseases, as identified by laboratory testing, to Mass. Dept. of Public Health. Establish and maintain a network of communications and contacts with in house Infection Control and the Baystate Health community in general, as well as in the public health sector. Position relates to the BH mission by supporting Nursing Home client efforts to reduce nosocomial infections in patients who move back and forth between Nursing Homes and BH hospitals. Also very important is maintaining compliance with MDPH communicable disease reporting regulations. Participate in Microbiology projects that relate to tracking infectious diseases such as seasonal respiratory infections, etc.
1) Support BRL client long term care and related facilities: Monitor, tabulate, analyze and report data on nosocomial infections, in support of effective infection control/prevention programs. Support client compliance with JCAHO, OSHA, CMS and MDPH. As requested, review infection control programs and recommend changes, providing or assisting in development of written policies and procedures.
2) In addition to reports, provide consultative service as required by each client, at specified time intervals. Consultative service includes attendance at Quarterly Quality Improvement meetings, conducting environmental rounds and presenting inservices as requested. Track all services provided in order to ensure appropriate billing.
3) Assist clients in identifying measures to prevent, attenuate or contain infection through proper procedures and barrier techniques. Assist with epidemiological investigations for possible or actuall clusters/outbreaks among patients/employees of BRL client facilities, as requested.
4) Maintain high level of communication and work closely with BRL Microbiology staff and management as well as with designated representatives of BRL client facilities.
5) Refer significant findings to Medical and Administrative management of BRL clients as well as to the Medical Director and Managers of Microbiology and Business Development of BRL.
6) Produce annual summary of diseases reported to MDPH, reporting to Medical Director of Microbiology as well as the Baystate Medical Center Committee on Infections
7) Maintain effective working relationships with Springfield Board of Health and Mass. Dept. of Public Health
8) Develop continuing education and inservice training programs for employees of BRL and BRL clients as required. Identify areas in need of improvement and work toward increasing and upgrading awareness of the respective infection control programs..
9) Maintain active membership on the Baystate Medical Center Committee on Infections and other committees as required..
10) Use computer skills (EXCEL and ACCESS) to develop and maintain data bases such as communicable diseases reported to MDPH, logs of disclosures to satisfy HIPAA requirements, etc. Per Mass. DPH regulations, report specified communicable diseases on a daily basis. Support development and maintenance of Electronic Laboratory Reporting of communicable disease data to MDPH
Required Work Experience:
1) 3-5 years experience in Infection Control preferred
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) High level analytical and computer skills (Word, EXCEL and ACCESS or other data base software) required
2) Excellent verbal and writtens skills
3) Must be able to work independently with minimal direction
4) ConDocumented computer skills and high level knowledge of infectious disease and infection control
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Arts (Required)
Certified Infection Control - Other
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
- Baystate Health Jobs