Petco Veterinarian - Hospital Medical Leader in Wareham, Massachusetts
C ome work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
The purpose of the Hospital Medical Leader position is to lead the hospital veterinary team in providing excellent veterinary care to our Vetco Total Care full-service hospital patients while offering phenomenal customer care to their owners. The Hospital Medical Director represents the mission and values to all clients, veterinarians, and hospital and store partners.
All hospital partners are responsible for performing their duties in a way that creates an environment in which:
· the patient’s needs always come first;
· every team member understands that they have the power to do what it takes to create an exceptional customer and patient experience;
· contentious issues are dealt with and resolved as they occur when possible, or as soon as is possible;
· exceptional teamwork and commitment to shared goals benefits the entire organization.
Essential Job Functions
Listed are the essential duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation:
· Leadership/Management duties:
· Lead hospital veterinarian team.
· Partner with Hospital Office Manager to provide cohesive and collaborative leadership to the entire hospital team.
· Mentor and coach hospital veterinarians to drive continuous improvement in clinical skills, client communication, team collaboration and standard of care.
· Hold responsibility for driving hospital commitment to medical quality, including compliance with Petco Medical SOPs and all applicable laws and regulations.
· Understand and assure strict compliance of state practice act requirements for full-service veterinary hospitals.
· Conduct veterinarian candidate interviewing and onboarding.
· Participate in hospital partner interviews.
· Create veterinarian schedule, identify potential gaps and partner with Hospital Office Manager and field leadership to correct.
· Closely monitor hospital performance, and in partnership with HOM and field leadership identify areas of opportunity to drive business results through exceptional quality of care and client communication.
· Review P&L monthly reporting, and partner with HOM and Field Leadership to increase revenue growth and exceed financial targets set by Finance team by ensuring a high level of quality and high level of efficiency.
· Conduct regular review of electronic medical records of direct reports regarding patient decisions and provide feedback and direction as a means to elevate patient care.
· Ensure all client concerns and reportable incidents are addressed swiftly, partner with the Hospital Office Manager and field leadership in appropriate resolution.
· Maintain and be responsible for ordering, inventory and recording of all controlled substances and keep hospital in compliance with DEA regulations.
· Promote a strong culture of safety for both team and pets
· Partner with Hospital Office Manager for all hospital radiation safety training and compliance.
· Clinical Care duties:
· Provide excellent patient care by performing physical examinations, diagnosing and treating diseases, and providing preventive care according to patient lifestyle and location on feline and canine patients.
· Utilize a problem-based approach that includes developing a complete problem list for every patient examined, a complete list of differential diagnoses for each problem identified, a complete diagnostic plan, and appropriate treatments based on interpretation of diagnostic test results leading to confirmed or suspected diagnoses.
· Document all patient observations, findings of exams and diagnostics, treatments and medications, client interactions, and tentative and confirmed diagnoses in the medical record in a concise and detailed fashion, according to practice convention.
· Perform routine and complex surgical procedures including (but not limited to) spays/neuters, exploratory laparotomy, and mass removals.
· Perform routine and complex dental procedures including full dental examination, evaluation of dental radiographs, as well as simple and complex extractions and oral surgical procedures.
· Develop treatment plans for patients undergoing daytime hospitalization utilizing a complete problem-based assessment. Transition patients to overnight care as needed and communicate effectively with referral hospitals and clients in order to ensure continuity of patient care.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
· Participate in rounds as incoming or exiting doctor at beginning and end of shifts
· Disseminate knowledge throughout team members in order to improve the level of care provided by all, to both the patient and the client.
· Perform additional duties as assigned.
· Maintain any required state premise permits or hospital vendor accounts as needed.
Nature of Supervision
In all activities related to the care of individual patients, the incumbent will take direct supervision from the Area Medical Director. The Hospital Medical Director has discretion related to decisions regarding patient care, however it is imperative that the Hospital Medical Director uphold the standards set forth in the Petco Veterinary SOPs. The Hospital Medical Director should expect to receive direction and guidance based on electronic medical record review from the Area Medical Director regarding patient decisions and should accept such feedback as a means to elevate patient care and client interactions in our hospital.
All hospital veterinarians should work together in a collegial fashion and are expected to behave in a professional and personable manner.
Planning and Problem Solving
Problem solving is at the heart of veterinary medicine, and it is expected that any successful candidate will possess excellent problem-solving skills that allow expeditious diagnosis of patient problems.
This position will impact the organization by contributing to the growth of a productive practice while focusing on a high-quality standard of care. From an overall hospital organizational standpoint, this position is critical to ensuring that we have a cohesive, well-trained, and motivated team. The desired end result is the creation of an optimal environment that ensures employee retention, patient well-being, and customer satisfaction.
This position has supervisory responsibility for all hospital veterinarians, including full-time, part-time, exotic, and relief veterinarians.
The majority of job duties are conducted in the Vetco Total Care veterinary full-service hospital. Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as necessary), and standing for long periods of time. A large amount of this partner’s time will be spent in direct contact with clients and their pets.
This position will regularly communicate with clients, veterinary specialists, and companies that provide products and/or services that the practice utilizes
· Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from an AVMA-accredited veterinary school or its equivalent
· 1-3 years minimum of clinical veterinary experience
· Experience mentoring and coaching veterinarians preferred
· Active licensure as a veterinarian without contingencies in the state in which the hospital is located or ability to obtain by start date
· Current DEA license
· Current Controlled Substance License, if applicable, in state in which the hospital is located or ability to obtain by start date
· USDA Category I Accreditation or completion within two months of hire date.
· Strong skills performing anesthesia and routine surgeries including but not limited to: canine and feline spays, neuters, mass removals, and dentals
· Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Must be compassionate and sympathetic, and be able to maintain a professional attitude and demeanor during emotional and stressful situations
· Must have telephone and computer skills
· Must be a team player willing to learn new techniques and treatments, offer creative ideas, and accept change
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.