State of Massachusetts Licensed Practical Nurse II C5 MEU Patient care unit in Tewksbury, Massachusetts
The Department of Mental Health, Tewksbury Hospital is seeking a highly motivated LPN to work with resilient patients navigating their journey on the road to recovery.
Please notethis position is full time, 40 hours per week, evening shift 3:00PM-11:30PM, days off are SUN/FRI, MON/SAT
_Summary of Duties and Responsibilities (These duties and responsibilities are not all inclusive)_
· Provides nursing care for patients by following professional, hospital, departmental and certification standards in order to maintain quality care.
· Assist in the implementation of the individual treatment plan by discussing and reporting observations regarding patient behavior, needs, desires or problems to ensure consistency of care.
· Provides supervision of employees of a lesser grade to ensure effective completion of designated tasks/activities.
· Administers medications, as prescribed, following pertinent policies, procedures and standards to ensure compliance.
· Assists in the maintenance of all medical supplies, including emergency supplies, to ensure readiness at all times.
· Assists in orienting nurses of a lesser grade to medication policies, procedures and routines to ensure consistency in practice.
· Reports observations of patient illness, changes in behaviors or related incidents to other professional staff to promote quality patient care.
· Documents in MIS including, but not limited to, progress notes, incident reports, restraint/seclusion forms, to provide communication regarding patient progress.
· Works effectively with other staff to better serve patient needs, promoting a non-threatening, therapeutic milieu.
· Participates as a member of an interdisciplinary team by attending team meetings and providing observations of patient behaviors to assist in developing an appropriate treatment plan.
· Participates in the admission process by recording necessary data in the patient’s chart, asking pertinent questions, taking inventory of personal belongings, etc., to ensure accuracy and completeness of information.
· Attends meetings and trainings to improve knowledge and skills to be aware of and stay informed of hospital and departmental policies and procedures as well as HCFA and JCAHO regulations to provide a safe therapeutic environment.
· Works with other staff in the planning and the implementation of therapeutic and educational programs for the patients and their families to provide an opportunity for learning and meeting of individual patient needs.
· Actively involved in the Improved Operational Performance process at both unit and hospital wide level to promote improved patient care.
· Provides leisure activities for patients during unstructured time to promote and enhance patient social skills.
· Practices principles of COLLABORATION, ASSESSMENT, RECOVERY and ENVIRONMENT (CARE), to provide a safe environment.
· Serves on hospital and departmental committees as assigned to promote multidisciplinary representation.
· Is knowledgeable of and conforms with hospital and departmental policies and procedures and informs employees of a lesser grade of same to provide a safe and therapeutic environment.
· Performs tasks of assigned staff in their absence to ensure continuity of services.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Knowledge of the principles, methods, procedures and practices of nursing care as they pertain to Licensed Practical Nursing.
· Working knowledge of established procedures for medication administration.
· Ability to supervise employees of a lesser grade engaged in performing nursing care.
· Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules and regulations of governing and certifying agencies.
· Experience working with individuals with serious, persistent mental illness, substance abuse and/or who have experienced homelessness.
- Given the population served, bilingual or multilingual fluency.
_DMH Mission Statement:_
The Department of Mental Health assures and provides access to services and supports to meet the mental health needs of individuals of all ages, enabling them to live, work and participate in their communities. The Department establishes standards to ensure effective and culturally competent care to promote recovery. The Department sets policy, promotes self-determination, protects human rights and supports mental health training and research.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve - but it’s more than a paycheck. The State’s total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:
75% state paid medical insurance
Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
Low cost basic and optional life insurance
State Employees’ Pension and a Deferred Compensation plan
11 paid holidays per year
Competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
Tuition Remission for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
Short Term Disability and Extended Illness program participation options
Incentive-based Wellness Programs
Professional Development and Continuing Education opportunities
Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines,
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
For questions regarding this position please contact Carol Duggan Carol.Duggan@mass.gov
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must have at least one year of paraprofessional experience in the field of nursing as a licensed practical nurse.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a current and valid license as a practical nurse under the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job: *Medical Services
Organization: *Department of Mental Health
Title: Licensed Practical Nurse II C5 MEU Patient care unit
Location: Massachusetts-Tewksbury-365 East Street
Requisition ID: 200006U1