Baystate Health Technologist Radiation Therapy in Springfield, Massachusetts
- 40 hours, day shift (8:00am - 4:30pm & 8:30am - 5:00pm), call required.
We are a 716-bed independent academic medical center. We are the community's major referral hospital, and we provide a wide range of services, including:
Cancer care (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/cancer)
Critical care medicine
Digestive disorder care (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/gastroenterology)
Heart and vascular disease care
Laboratory services (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/laboratory)
Obstetrics and gynecology care (https://www.baystatehealth.org/services/obgyn)
And care for many other injuries, illnesses, and conditions
Ranked among highest performing hospitals nationally by U.S. News & World Report
Among only 1% of hospitals to be recognized by Magnet® 4 consecutive times
Named a top 50 cardiovascular hospital by Watson Health
In addition to our outstanding care for adults, we also treat children with acute and chronic illnesses at Baystate Children's Hospital (https://www.baystatehealth.org/locations/childrens-hospital) , which is located on our main Springfield campus.
For more information, please visit us online at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers
All correspondence can be directed to:
Jim Pugliese, Healthcare Recruiter
Radiation therapist must demonstrate an understanding of cancer, radiation biology, radiation therapy techniques, equipment technology, radiation safety and psychosocial aspects of cancer. Under the supervision of the radiation oncologist the radiation therapist simulates, plans, implements and delivers the treatment, as prescribed by the radiation oncologist including participation in required on-call procedures. Therapist will assist the radiation oncologist in a wide range of sterile procedures. Responsible for the care and treatment of patients, which may use radiation therapy services, to include, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric. Adheres to the accepted standards, code of ethics and policies and procedures adopted by the profession and regulated by law.
Incumbent demonstrates an understanding of the functions and operations of equipment, accessories, treatment methods and protocols. Performs functions as a clinical radiation therapist according to Radiation Therapy Practice Standards. Assist with clerical functions and basic nursing skills as needed. Maintains a positive customer service attitude, adheres to the Baystate Operating Principles and functions as a team player.
Job specifications and related duties are subject to change based on departmental requirements and medical advancements in treatment modalities.
1) Practices radiation safety according to policy and procedure. Ensures proper identification of all patients according to established policy and procedure.
2) Knowledgeable of interdepartmental functions and policies and procedures Reviews radiation therapy written directive for identified patient. Validates written directive with attending or consulting radiation oncologist if record and verify system does not contain an identical written directive.
3) Responsible for maintaining patient confidentiality. Understands and operates the Cancer Services, Radiation Oncology information system as it applies to job functions.
4) Communicates clearly explaining the nature of procedure and/or treatment delivery in laymen's terms.
5) Maintains knowledge of operators' manual and manufacture's recommendations for safe operation of CT scanner, Linear Accelerator and fabrication and usage of immobilization devices.
6) Performs functions as a clinical radiation therapist including morning warm up procedures, simulation, fabrication of immobilization device(s), treatment planning, dose calculation, validation of written directive and treatment parameters, patient set-up, immobilization, positioning, portal imaging, treatment delivery, documentation including record and verify system. Participates in regulatory inspections, implementation of new technologies, subsequent training of staff members as required and department quality assurance activities.
7) Performs functions as a clinical radiation therapist including morning warm up procedures, simulation, fabrication of immobilization device(s), treatment planning, dose calculation, validation of written directive and treatment parameters, patient set-up, immobilization, positioning, imaging, treatment delivery, documentation including record and verify system. Participates in regulatory inspections, implementation of new technologies, subsequent training of staff members as required and department quality assurance activities.
8) Reviews instructions for discharge and follow up with patient, as applicable.
9) Analyzes equipment problems, seeking guidance as necessary, to achieve resolution.
10) Demonstrates flexibility, placing the patient first. Adjusts schedule as required. Fosters healthy relationships with radiation oncologists and physicians. Acts as a liaison with hospital personnel to ensure, timely coordinated services.
Required Work Experience:
1) Graduate of an accredited Radiological Sciences Program in Radiation Therapy or equivalent from a two year Certificate Program
2) Accredited programs must meet the JRCERT (Joint review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology) standards
3) Minimum 1 year experience in radiation therapy preferred
Skills and Competencies:
1) Incumbent must demonstrate effective communication skills, teambuilding and interpersonal skills
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associates of Science: Radiological Science (Required), Certificate: Radiological Science
Radiography - American Registry of Radiologic Technologist
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs