Baystate Health Surgical Services Intern Program in Springfield, Massachusetts
Thank you for applying to Baystate. Please note:
Surgical Services Intern Program
Per diem, various shifts
Please include a resume
Candidates must be actively enrolled in a Surgical Tech program
First year student preferred for this Intern role
The Surgical Technologist Student would be trained to perform the same job functions as a Sterile Processing Technician I. The Sterile Processing Technician I performs a variety of activities and technical skills within the established policies and procedures of the Department. These duties are to receive/retrieve, clean, assemble and sterilize instruments, equipment and supplies; prepare and dispense medical/surgical patient supplies; observe all health and safety requirements.
1) Full time orientation including rotation to evenings and nights. Initial orientation will prepare student for the essential functions of the job within the unit and continuing on the job training will be provided to prepare the student for more complex and higher function responsibilities such as processing flexible scopes, quality assurance testing of sterilizers, instrument tray assembly, etc.
2) Per Diem a minimum of 4, 4 hour shifts is required and employee must maintain yearly unit specific competencies by participation and attendance at in-service trainings.
3) Clean and maintain specialty instrumentation, power equipment, patient care equipment and flexible endoscopes. Clean and maintain Bullard scopes for Anesthesia department.
4) Reports by chain of command to designated charge person, Coordinator and/or unit Supervisor/Manager.
5) Interacts with nursing/technical personnel, physicians and members of the health care team as well as all members of Surgical or Central Processing staff.
6) Perform quality assurance testing of all sterilizer functions. Assemble all specialty kits and prepares for sterilization. Have knowledge of location of supplies, kits, instruments and equipment in the department.
7) Properly package all instruments and supplies for sterilization. Sterilize all items in appropriate sterilizer and correct cycle. Load and unload sterilizers in accordance with department policy.
8) Document and replace broken or missing routine use instruments. Report broken and/or missing specialty instruments to appropriate Coordinator.
9) Answer telephone requests properly and with expediency.
10) Assemble surgeon specific and emergency case carts. Maintain specialty carts and supply bins.
Required Work Experience:
Skills and Competencies:
1) Must be capable of following detailed instructions; possess good interpersonal skills and able to perform a number of activities according to priority
2) Able to think independently and work under stressful and emergent situations
3) Must be able to read and comprehend the English language
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs