Baystate Health Registered Nurse II in Springfield, Massachusetts
Under the general supervision of the Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse Manager, the registered nurse practices within the Professional Practice Model, the MA Nurse Practice Act, ANA Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics and demonstrates Baystate Health's core values. The registered nurse demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide expected standards of care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational spiritual, safety and age-appropriate considerations of patients. The registered nurse assumes responsibility for the patient's plan of care and is held accountable for decisions specific to assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the plan of care. The registered nurse provides care directly to patients and in collaboration with other health care team members. The registered nurse maintains a current level of knowledge and skill with technical procedures as defined by the nursing specialty organization, complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies and is currently licensed in the state of Massachusetts as a registered nurse.
1) Demonstrates organizational skills that maintain safe delivery of the standard of care for assigned patients/families; manages own assignment by delegating effectively based on patient needs and skills of team members. Administers medications and treatments according to policy/procedure.
2) Conducts accurate age appropriate, clinical assessments; identifies and prioritizes patient/family strengths, needs and priorities; develops, implements and evaluates the patient's individualized plan of care. Documents all assessments according to policy.
3) Recognizes acute changes in patient status and intervenes appropriately.
4) Develops a comprehensive educational plan for the patient/family, utilizing appropriate resources and documents accordingly.
5) Adheres to practice guidelines specific to the care setting: a) utilizes standards, policies and procedures to support clinical decision making b) seeks guidance from appropriate resources c) demonstrates knowledge of performance improvement initiatives.
6) Demonstrates caring practices that create a compassionate, supportive, and therapeutic environment for patients and staff, with the aim of promoting comfort and healing and preventing unnecessary suffering.
7) Demonstrates respect for patient/family dignity and privacy in all patient/family interactions. Establishes and maintains mutual trust within the nurse-patient/family relationship, engages patient/family participation in care.
8) Addresses patient experience concerns promptly and objectively. Escalates to leadership as needed.
9) Recognizes ethical dilemmas within ones practice area and uses available resources to intervene effectively.
10) Develops a comprehensive discharge plan utilizing appropriate resources and referrals including community resources; communicates plan and collaborates with the patient/family regarding discharge plans.
11) Actively participates in interdisciplinary patient care rounds. Documents plan and communicates to patients.
12) Participates in unit/housewide performance improvement initiatives.
13) Successfully completes annual competencies and mandatory education requirements.
14) Participates in shared governance and unit decision making.
15) Demonstrates progress in meeting personal and professional goals.
16) Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes o maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civilly and acceptance toward all employees, patients, and visitors.
Required Work Experience:
1) Must have 2 or more years of clinical experience as an RN
2) Any exception must be approved by the CNO
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Baystate Health required competencies per department
Bachelor of Nursing Degree, Diploma in Nursing: Nursing (Required)
Basic Life Support - American Heart Association, Registered Nurse - State of Massachusetts
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs