Baystate Health Radiologic Tech, Part Time, 16 hrs in Springfield, Massachusetts
Under the supervision of the Radiologist and according to established procedures, operates diagnostic X-ray equipment as required to obtain diagnostic films according to Radiologist specifications.Performs diagnostic procedures in accordance with hospital guidelines. Some responsibilities include but are not limited to: fluoroscopy and invasive exams (as required) according to the policy manual and Radiologist's supervision; portable imaging in the NICU, Pedi, OR, ICU, ER; outpatient X-rays. Incumbent is expected to perform mobile and surgical procedures to assist with patient diagnosis in the surgical suites and patient's room (as required); fluoroscopic units during specialized procedures for diagnosis and assistance in the design of treatment for patients including defecography, barium enema, myelography and gastrointestinal (GI) exams (as required).Responds to emergency situations (contrast reactions and medical emergencies) according to departmental, clinic and hospital policy. Makes sound clinical judgement calls in an emergency situation.
1) Demonstrates excellent customer service through positive patient experience; promotes positive inter/intradepartmental communications and relationships; maintains confidentiality.
2) Demonstrates a sound knowledge and proficiency in the use of required imaging equipment in area of specialty.
3) Demonstrates proficiencies with CR, DR, PACs and applicable modality specific equipment.
4) Properly identifies patient information using two patient identifiers and complies with National Patient Safety Goals standards and ARRT Code of Ethics standards. Performs procedures as outlined including but not limited to routine, specialized, emergency and urgent imaging procedures. Responsible for providing accurate, high quality exams.
5) Maintains operational communication with Supv/Mgr; shares information and follows through with assigned tasks.
6) Works as a member of the health care team including phsyicians, nurses and other health care professionals in diagnostic testing.
7) Operates and maintains exam room and equipment: evaluates equipment problems and takes appropriate action to expedite necessary service or repair. Demonstrates knowledge/understanding in effectively operating all equipment. Performs quality checks on equipment in accordance with departmental procedures. Keeps work areas stocked with appropriate suplies. Keeps all imaging rooms neat and clean. Ensures supplies in work area are not damaged or outdated. Discards waste in appropriate waste containers according to established procedures.
8) Recognizes examination findings that may require immediate clinical response and notifices the radiologist (example: critical test results) and verifies timely transfer of images to the PACS system.
9) Assures ongoing compliance with JC, MQSA and ACR regulatory and DPH/CMS requirements. Participates in departmental quality assurance activities. Supports QC activities in the department.
10) Performs accurate and high quality exams to assure proper technique, positioning and visualization of the appropriate anatomy requested. Instructs patient before and during procedure to maximize probability of obtaining a complete and accurate result.
11) Maintains standards of skills: demonstrates/maintains current knowledge/skill in providing appropriate care for all patients potentially served in an imaging service, to include pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric.
12) Presents self to all patients and other customers in a pleasant, professional and courteous manner at all times.
13) Attends and participates in in-service meetings and other designated training events that will enhance clinical skills as documented by attendance at meetings/seminars.
14) Reports any suggestions for positive changes or recommendations within deparmtental policies/procedures to supervisor.
15) Accurately inputs data, demographics and information into appropriate modality specific computer applications and systems.
16) Assists in the training of techologists, residents and students when assigned to same work area according to departmental procedures, where applicable. Demonstrates a willingness to learn new procedures and accept new responsibilities.
17) Observes strict safety standards in area of specialty ensuring the safety of patients, family members, staff and visitors. Maintains an environment that is free of hazards.
18) Utilizes time in an effective manner by coordinating patients and procedures to achieve maximum productivity as observed by supervisor.
19) Assist the radiologist in a wide range of sterile procedures, as dictated by modality.
20) Radiation safety procedures and protocols: maintains radiation safety to patient, staff and self according to departmental procedures. Wears radiation monitoring device as appropriate and required.
Required Work Experience:
1) Completion of a formal radiologic technologist program in an accredited school
2) 1 year in an imaging department
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Outpatient or hospital
Skills and Competencies:
1) Ability to work with computer applications
2) Demonstrates good verbal and written communication
3) Able to work independently and be self-motivated
What you will need
Completion of a formal modality specific technology program in an accredited school.
1 year in an imaging department
Graduated from an accredited modality specific imaging program; Associates Degree preferred
State license required
Certification specific to area of modality
CPR per department requirements
Associates of Science: Medical Imaging, Certificate: Medical Imaging (Required)
Basic Life Support - American Heart Association, Radiography - American Registry of Radiologic Technologist
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs