Baystate Health Phlebotomist, Blood Donor Program in Springfield, Massachusetts
Thank you for applying to this position with Baystate Health. Please note the following about the role:
Department: Blood Donor Program
Hours: 20 weekly
All applicants are asked to submit a resume with their application Summary:
Possesses and utilizes technical skills, training, and knowledge of principles, techniques and equipment to collect whole blood donations via venipuncture from blood donors. Participates in blood drives conducted on the bloodmobile and at the fixed site locations at BMC and Noble Hospital. Performs blood donor registration, donor medical interviews, and mini physical exams and determines eligibility of a person to donate blood. Performs apheresis donor collections. Participates in the recruitment of blood donors and sustaining Blood Donor Program client relationships.Must pass criminal background check. Must possess a valid drivers license and be 21 years of age. Motor vehicle report will be reviewed based on information obtained. Candidate will also undergo drug testing.Valid Drivers License - Position subject to additional requirements (BH-HR-902 Fleet Policy)
1) Safety. Develops skills/knowledge to: appropriately dispose of bio-hazardous waste; evaluate and handle difficult donor situations (qualification issues, dissatisfied with service, fainting, seizures, excessive bleeding, other donor complications, etc.); various barrier precaution procedures;appropriate use of equipment; and tasks related to safety record keeping and QI.
2) Technical. Performs donor identification, qualification and labeling with accuracy. Proficient in assessing vein size, location and position of veins for vascular access and performance of venipuncture. Proficient in blood collection by veins and capillary puncture for Hgb testing, processing and handling. Proficient in specialized delivery of age appropriate care. Proficient at calculation of minimum collection requirements for difficult draws. Proficient in procedures for site selection and second attempts where required. Performs equipment maintenance. Proficient blood component/handling and transporting in a manner appropriate to maintain product integrity by utilizing the courier or transporting to BMC after Bloodmobile drives. Performs donor apheresis collections. Proficient level of problem solving and troubleshooting.
3) Work Relationships. Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service to work independently and/or in team environment. Builds and sustains client relationships with blood drive locations internal and external to Baystate. Interacts with supervisor, Lead MLS and TMS physicians in making donor qualification decisions.
4) IT. Proficient with basic computer functions and applications.
5) Clerical. Secures donor consent signatures and completes forms required to meet regulatory compliance. Performs tasks related to record keeping and Blood Donor Records. Performs clerical duties to include copying, faxing, filing. Assists in the recruitment of blood donors to include telephone call reminders, on-site recruiting of donors and coordinator coaching.
6) Additional Responsibilities. Donor registration and medical interviewing, performance of vital signs, POC hemoglobin, builds and sustains relationship with coordinator at donor site. Works in multiple locations (ie. Blood Donor Center, Noble, Bloodmobile). Participates in the recruitment of blood donors and sustaining Blood Donor Program client relationships.
Required Work Experience:
1) 12 months experience working as a phlebotomist with demonstrated ability to work independently
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Proficiency in phlebotomy, specimen handling acquired through experience
Certificate: Phlebotomy, GED or HiSET (Required)
Certified Phlebotomy Technician - Various, Driver License - Various
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs