Baystate Health Pediatric Dietitian in Springfield, Massachusetts
Under the general supervision of the department leadership, the Registered Dietitian (RD) practices within the Academy of Nutrition Dietetic's Scope of Practice in Nutrition Care and Scope of Professional Performance, the MA Statutes and Regulations (Dietitians and Nutritionists) and demonstrates Baystate Health's core values. The RD demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide expected standards of care based on physical, psychosocial, cultural, educational spiritual, safety and age-appropriate considerations of patients. The RD assumes responsibility for the patient's nutrition plan of care and is held accountable for decisions specific to assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of the nutrition plan of care. The RD provides care directly to patients and in collaboration with other health care team members. The RD participates in committees and/or PI initiatives. The RD seeks to improve knowledge and skill, complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies and is currently registered with Commission on Dietetic Registration and licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist.
1) Demonstrates organizational skills that maintain safe delivery of the standard of care for assigned patients/families. Manages own assignment by delegating effectively based on patient needs and skills of team members when indicated.
2) Conducts accurate age appropriate, clinical assessments; identifies and prioritizes patient/family strengths, needs and priorities; develops, implements and evaluates the patient's individualized plan of care. Documents all assessments according to policy.Utilizes Nutrition Care Process:
-Analyzes and synthesizes the assessment data to accurately identify nutrition problems.
-Integrates current evidence, cultural/religious needs with critical appraisal of assessment data to make nutrition diagnosis.
-Develops patient/family centered plan of care in collaboration with interdisciplinary team and determines monitoring/evaluation methods to improve or resolve nutrition diagnosis.
-Recognizes changes in patient status and adjusts interventions appropriately.
3) Provides effective therapeutic diet education to patient/families utilizing methods such as Motivational Interviewing (outpt) and Teach Back (inpt and outpt).
4) Orders and manages parenteral nutrition (PN) effectively/proactively and anticipates discharge needs in collaboration with physicians; electrolyte/acid-base, divalents, micronutrients, macronutrients, glycemic control and fluid. (As required based on location and patient population)
5) Orders and manages tube feedings (TF) effectively/proactively and anticipates discharge needs in collaboration with physicians: macronutrients, micronutrients, glycemic control and fluid. (As required based on location and patient population)
6) Demonstrates respect for patient/family dignity and privacy in all patient/family interactions. Establishes and maintains mutual trust within the dietitian-patient/family relationship, engages patient/family participation in care.
7) Exercises independent order writing privilege appropriately to deliver timely nutritional care: therapeutic diet change, consistency modification, supplements, PN, TF and nutrition related lab values (inpt). Utilizes resources effectively and considers cost-benefit. (Inpatient only).
8) Addresses patient experience concerns promptly and objectively. Escalates to leadership as needed.
9) Assists with nutrition support discharge plan utilizing appropriate resources and referrals including community resources; communicates plan and collaborates with the patient/family regarding nutrition discharge plans. (As required based on location and patient population).
10) Precepts dietetic interns and/or mentors staff and Provides departmental leadership for new initiatives and projects.
Required Work Experience:
1) Completion of a didactic program in dietetics and supervised practice program approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
2) Minimum 5 years professional experience in clinical nutrition or related area and minimum 2 years as clinical dietitian at BH.
3) Candidates with less experience will be considered accordingly (may be hired at a lower level).
Preferred Work Experience:
1) Strong pediatric, or interest preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
1) Expert knowledge and application of nutrition services and medical nutrition therapy related to assigned patient care units.
What You Need To Know:
This position is located in Springfield.
This position requires rotation for weekends and holidays.
Bachelor of Science: Nutrition (Required), Master of Science: Nutrition
Licensed Dietician - Various, Registered Dietician - Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs