Trinity Health Patient Observer in Springfield, Massachusetts
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse observes and monitors the safety and comfort of the patient who requires frequent or continual observation and contact, due to psychiatric, medical and/or safety reasons. Part time 7p-7a 24 hrs per week
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:* *
- Takes initiative to ensure patient’s comfort, and relates any concerns and/or patient issues promptly to the Registered Nurse and any other appropriate providers involved with the patient's care; assists in implementing safety measures and de-escalation.
- Remains attentive and alert at all times, maintaining continual supervision within arm's length of the patient unless relieved for scheduled breaks.
- Responsible for the orderliness of the patient room and ensuring safety measures are maintained at all times.
- Takes direction from the Registered Nurse in conducting activities that help to enhance the patient's safety and wellbeing.
- Demonstrates commitment to ensuring patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Assists with limited patient care duties such as ambulating, feeding, toileting and other activities of daily living, under the supervision of the Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates the ability to interact and engage the patient in therapeutically prescribed activities while helping to ensure patient and family satisfaction.
- Engages the agitated patient in physical and non- physical interventions to de-escalate the patient without having to resort to physical restraints when possible. Ensures a safe environment for patient, self, and others.
- Patient care and pertinent events that occurred throughout the shift will be appropriately documented by the patient observers on each department's designated continuous observation documentation tool.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience working in a mental health or health-related environment preferred.
- General knowledge normally acquired by completing a high school diploma or equivalent required.
- CPI certification required; responsible for maintaining ongoing CPI renewals.
- CPR preferred.
- Potential volatile climate. Frequent exposure to unpleasant conditions and/or activities with patients, such as physical activities or restraints that could cause inconvenience, discomfort or injury.
- Engages in the physical activities of bending, stretching, stooping, squatting, and restraining to accomplish requirements of physical interventions with patients.
- Some occupational stress due to periodic or cyclical workload pressures. Work location may impose occasional unwelcomed interruptions.
- Position requires walking, standing, and bending to perform patient care activities.
- Assistance in transporting patients and occasional moderate lifting more than 50 pounds.
*REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: *
- Reports to the Nurse Manager or designee.
- Has no responsibility for leading or supervising the work of other employees.
Job Number: 00206508
Location: Springfield, MA
Organization Name: Trinity Health Of New England
Facility: SPMA - Mercy Medical Center
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: 12 Hour Night Shift