Baystate Health Operations Associate Cardiac Monitor Tech, Part Time 24 Hours M-W-F in Springfield, Massachusetts
Reports to the Nurse Manager but daily activities are coordinated by the charge nurse. Under direct supervision works with patient and family centered care teams to insure all business functions related to processing patient information, managing documentation, organizing patient medical record and facilitating smooth unit operations. Files appropriate patient reports and other information for their records. Facilitates communication among staff, relaying messages/information. Facilitates bed management and patient throughput on unit. Performs functions necessary to process direct admissions to the unit. Acts as receptionist for visitors to unit and also as a business partner to the department and clinical staff. Orients patients and families to the unit, answering routine questions. Able to multitask.
1) Bed Management: Tracks, prioritizes and assigns beds. Communicates with BMD and BM for admissions, discharges and transfers (ADTs). Coordinates unit/department ADTs. Checks BMD enters new data, and advises Charge Nurse of changes. Checks CIS for discharge orders, follows up with MD, CM RN to assure discharge documents are complete. Enters discharges in OA Gold and pending discharges in BMD. Rounds 3 times daily with RNs and CM regarding discharges, discharge times and special instructions, appropriateness for Discharge Lounge. Notifies CM if ambulance is unable to come @ assigned time. With CM, monitors BMD for observation patients to determine if patient needs discharge or status change. Tracks new admissions from the ED. Retrieves SBAR data from the ED and communicates to the nursing staff. Assures fax is received within 30 minutes. Arranges patient transport from the ED if needed. Carries BMD beeper, assigns coverage during breaks and meals to ensure constant flow of ADTs.
2) Proficiently and accurately utilizes the following computer applications in daily work: C Word, OA Gold, SMS, CIS, Premise, BMD, PCM Auditor, People Soft and Staples and Koronos access if applicable.
3) Unit specific projects: Project work as assigned and/or needed such as Payroll, committee participation, develop unit time schedules, etc.
4) Communication: provides report/handoff to next shift including pending discharges, admissions in process, empty beds, beds being cleaned, and closed beds with the reason. Contacts other departments for priority tests for patients identified for next day discharge. Answers telephones and relays messages promptly with consistent accuracy to team members. Responds to routine inquires knowledgeably and/or refers them to appropriate person, assists staff as requested, ensures identified problems are communicated accurately and promptly. Places calls to MD's and ancillary departments to facilitate patient care and throughput. Where appropriate, coordinates communication with NEOPO and related paperwork in conjunction with RN. Screen calls for clinical team and facilitate communication of information requested.
5) Serve as a unit based resource for Zoned Hospitalist and medical/surgical teaching teams. Assist Hospitalist during clinical rounds, i.e. initiate phone calls, send faxes and call consults as directed by Zoned Hospitalist. Make available the unit based assignment (RN/Case Manager/Social Worker as well as covering RNs [i.e. lunch and breaks]) daily for Hospitalist. Maintain and identify specific workspace for Hospitalists which include computer and telephone access. Works with Access Services and patient/family to secure post discharge follow-up appointments. Identifies daily the Hospitalist of the day through electronic systems and prints this form for team use throughout the day. Posts break and lunch coverage in a central location for ease in obtaining patient related information and fostering communication.
6) Hospital Records and logs: Explains and obtains signatures for Medicare forms.
Maintains patient chart in proper sequence and labels pages with patients name. Prepares record prior to transfer and discharge. Organizes chart for Medical Records, faxes or copies records as needed. Sends discharge record to HIM (old and new) immediately after discharge. Updates discharge/admission log. Insures complete information is sent with transfers. Prepares patient charge ticket for data entry and keeps accurate record on unit. When appropriate, enter data into PCM auditor at specified times. Replenish and restock unit audit tools (i.e. refrigerator logs, negative pressure room logs, etc.). Other unit logs i.e. assignment books, sick call records, Koronos variance forms, etc.
7) Unit Resource: Functions as a greeter for the arrival of new patients/families to the unit/department. Assists other departments with information and or answers to questions as requested. Post/file MD schedules for clinical team inquiry. In coordination with charge nurse, prepare staffing assignment for the next shift. Place calls to replace unplanned staffing vacancies. Communicate staffing and scheduling to Clinical Supervisor. As needed, but not limited to obtain mail from the mailroom, blood products from the Laboratory, medications from Pharmacy and supplies from Distribution and Dietary as needed.
8) Inventories, maintains and charges supplies. Initiates requisitions and requests accurately and in a timely fashion. Stores supplies within 24 hours of receipt in designated area. Records or submits charges and/or credits for patient supplies as needed. Coordinate paper supplies with Print Shop and/or Distribution to maintain unit/department par levels.
9) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures as needed/directed within unit/department. Verbalizes knowledge and location of emergency equipment. Mobilizes emergency support personnel through immediate telephone contact.
10) Identifies and reports irregular rhythms to registered nurse for interpretation and intervention . Records and processes EKG monitor strips for defined cardiac patient populations. Assures proper placement and maintenance of all monitoring equipment
Required Work Experience:
1) one year of Acute hospital experience
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Computer literate, good interpersonal skills Must take and pass required dysrhythmia course within 6 weeks of hire
2) OAS Gold Training, Conflict Resolution Training, Delegation Training, Team Training, Critical thinking skills, Ability to organize and prioritize, Ability to read and write in English, and/or unit specific competencies
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
GED or HiSET (Required)
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs