Baystate Health Mobile Phlebotomy Technician in Springfield, Massachusetts
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health, a leading not-for-profit integrated health system, is transforming the delivery of health care to the communities it serves. Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated healthcare systems, serving more than 800,000 people throughout Western Massachusetts. With about 12,000 employees, a 1,200-member medical staff, and net patient service revenue of more than $2.3 billion, this dynamic and growing system includes an academic medical center, a children’s hospital and three community hospitals. It also includes a large multispecialty group, (Baystate Medical Practices), Baystate Home Health, Baystate Reference Laboratories, and Health New England, a 205,000-member health insurance company.
Baystate Health is seeking a part time Mobile Phlebotomy Technician
What You Will Do:
The Float Phlebotomy Technician is expected to be competent to work as a phlebotomist multiple in Patient Service Centers.
Position requires you to possess a competent level of skill and knowledge of phlebotomy principles and procedures, exercising good judgmental skills and techniques to perform venipuncture and capillary punctures from diverse patient types. As the Float Phlebotomist to be competent with assessment of vein size, location and position for vascular access from diverse patent types. Competent knowledge of routine lab tests and specimen requirements, as well as knowledge and skills related to specimen receiving, processing and handling responsibilities.
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Competent level of typing skills in order to perform thorough and accurate patient registration and test ordering functions using multiple computer applications, following current registration and insurance protocols. May assist with training of new employees and/or students.
- Incumbent must be detail oriented and possess excellent verbal and intercommunication skills. Must poses high level of organizational skills and be able to multi task various work responsibilities in a team environment. Ability to establish and maintain good client relations, presenting a professional manner at all times. Follows all BMC safety and infection control procedures for any or all risk encountered while working on/off BMC property.
- Provides support to core Patient Service Center staff, working in multiple Patient Service Centers. Requires ability to learn and cooperate with operational differences at multiple sites. Routinely assigned to work in various Patient Service Centers, with flexibility to adjust schedule and work assignment with short notice. Requires traveling to multiple Patient Service Centers within daily and/or weekly schedule. Must be able to organize and maintain schedule adjustments.
- Position requires a valid driver's license, reliable transportation and a clean driving record. Responsible for accurate record keeping and tabulating mileage. Operates personal vehicle following all public safety motor vehicle laws and department of transportation regulations.
What You Will Need:
- High School Diploma/GED and completion of formal phlebotomy or other medical program required
- Minimum of 9-12 months (after successful completion of 3 month BRL orientation in PSC). If < 12 months experience, will underfill position as PSC Phlebotomy Tech I, until requirements have been met.
- Competent level of knowledge of phlebotomy and techniques acquired through experience
- Possesses typing skills and knowledge of computers.
- Knowledge of medical terminology required, or needs to be completed within 1 year
What You Need To Know:
- Location: Baystate Reference Labs
- Shift: Days, 28 hours per week
- Hours: Various hours between 7am-7pm, weekend and holiday rotation
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job ID: 83180
Location: Springfield, Massachusetts
Full/Part Time: Part-Time