Trinity Health MERCY ED TECH 24 HR 11A-3A FLEX in Springfield, Massachusetts
This position flexes between the hours of 11 am and 3 am. According to established policies and procedures, prepares patient appropriately and performs tasks including, but not limited to, laboratory procedures, specimens, physical exam, history, data collection, EKG’s, and process information to RN. Organizes and prioritizes time and duties to assure patient progression through the Unit in a timely manner. Works with many departments to provide positive patient outcomes.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Assures patient safety through proper identification process, appropriate directions and assistance when necessary. Maintains safe room.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Nurse, assists with the care of behavioral health patients. Utilizes de-escalation techniques for agitated patients and follows policies and procedures when treating behavioral patients.
- Explains blood-drawing procedure to patients in order to allay fears. Performs veni-puncture according to established aseptic techniques to obtain blood specimens in accordance with physicians’ orders, utilizing Universal Precautions.
- Instructs patients in specimen collection methods and procedures (i.e., urinalysis) and obtains specimens. Labels, dates, and records specimens obtained. Maintains records of patients seen, type, number of specimens obtained, reports changes in patient’s behavior.
- In order to maintain inventory at established levels, monitors inventory and restocks supplies as necessary.
- Assures accurate and complete documentation on assessment record, and/or computer and notifies physicians and other departments of results as necessary.
- Performs and assists patients with activities of daily living such as bathing, positioning, lifting and ambulating and controlling of combative or difficult patients.
- Performs procedures and treatments such as straight and Foley catheters, post-mortem care, application of restraints and splints. Demonstrates appropriate use of traction equipment, cleaning of equipment/instruments.
- Completes various errands as requested such as retrieving and delivering supplies, specimens, instruments and so forth.
- Responds to medical emergencies and performs CPR or other duties under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITES:
- Work requires a high school level of educational development and up to one year of basic technical training in blood drawing and specimen collection technique, aseptic methods, medical terminology plus three months or less of on-the-job training and orientation.
- Certification as a Phlebotomist preferred.
- One to three (1 – 3) years of Acute Care experience as an orderly or medical assistant, preferably in an Emergency Department.
- EKG experience preferred.
- Work requires the ability to gather and interpret data in situations where the information or problems are not overly difficult or complex. Ability to handle stressful and demanding situations utilizing exceptional communication skills. Requires excellent observation, documentation and organizational skills. Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters, schedule appointments, record vital signs in patient’s chart, greet visitors, explain hospital policies, and/or relay patient’s needs to appropriate personnel. This type of interaction requires courtesy and tact when dealing with patients and their families, visitors, and/or hospital employees.
- Work requires providing direct patient care to infants, toddlers, children, and adolescent along with adult and geriatric patients. Experience with CPI, restraints, and de-escalation techniques preferred or CPI training obtained within 3 months of hire. BLS certification upon hire.
- Some minor physical inconvenience or discomfort routinely present in the work situation (moderate noisy, disagreeable odors, etc.) or, occasional exposure to minor injury or other occupational hazards requiring Universal Precautions. Requires exposure to blood and various body fluids, which requires caution and use of established safety guidelines and equipment using Universal Precautions.
- Nature of work frequently requires considerable or heavy workload, highly irregular and unpredictable or particularly long hours, such as covering double shifts because of shortage of personnel, etc., placing heavy demands on home and/or social life; or there may be considerable work pressures involving delicate or potentially serious matters to the organization as a whole.
- Requires considerable physical effort on a consistent basis as in lifting, pulling or pushing an unyielding load (heavy, bulky, awkward, more than 40 pounds.)
- Reports to the Nurse Manager.
- Has no responsibility supervising or leading others.
Job Number: 00170621
Location: Springfield, MA
Organization Name: Trinity Health Of New England
Facility: SPMA - Mercy Medical Center
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: 12 Hour Evening Shift