Baystate Health Medical Laboratory Scientist I in Springfield, Massachusetts
The Baystate Health Reference Laboratories are staffed by 22 Pathologists and over 780 technologists and support personnel providing pathology and laboratory services across 4 hospitals, 5 large outpatient centers and multiple outreach clients across New England. We are proud to perform over six million clinical laboratory tests and process and interpret more than 120,000 surgical pathology, cytology and molecular pathology specimens annually. Through the course of the COVID pandemic we have reported nearly 400,000 COVID-19 PCR results, more than 90% of which have been performed in our laboratories at BH on multiple platforms. Our labs have state of the art testing technology offering our staff the ability to be practicing on the cutting edge of laboratory medicine. The laboratory services of Baystate Health are fully accredited to the highest regulatory standards, recently receiving a highly successful CAP review in May 2021.
BH Laboratory offers:
An exciting career with the opportunity to work in a world class Laboratory with the latest technology and a full array of the most cutting edge equipment
An interesting career collaborating with world class pathologists and colleagues managing all aspects of diagnostic analyses at a high level of complexity providing services to the area’s only Level 1 Trauma Unit and academic medical center. A career with opportunity for growth as the largest laboratory services in the area. Career ladders allow for advancement within current roles, as well as supervisor and lead positions.
Work/life Balance with a variety of shifts available and a comprehensive and generous benefits package.
1) Verifies appropriateness of specimens, accurately labels and identifies specimens. Alerts appropriate health care provider(s) regarding critical results
2) Carries out analytical procedures utilizing manual or automated methods, following written protocols. Verifies validity of results prior to reporting by observing established quality control criteria prior to reporting. Produces results that meet established departmental standards for accuracy and precision with minimal repetition or problems. Incumbent demonstrates significant documented skill and experience and is a resource to other staff in at least one section of the laboratory service.
3) Performs assays and reports results within established Turnaround Times. Prioritizes work and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Communicates regarding issues that may affect quality of results and/or Turnaround Time.
4) Incumbent demonstrates high level technical, interpretive and evaluation skills. Serves as a resource to identify or solve problems. Communicates with work team and/or supervisor regarding problems. Performs basic trouble shooting of instrumentation, referring issues to supervisor as necessary.
5) Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills. Records of work performed, quality control and documentation of issues are thorough and complete, consistent with all departmental requirements and those of regulatory agencies. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and health care providers.
6) Participation in special projects or studies with minimal supervision. Orients and trains new employees and teaches students incorporating theory and clinical significance.
7) Assists in maintenance and updating procedures through independent research to ensure current and appropriate methods.
8) As assigned support CAP inspection preparation by participating in checklist review, interpretation of standards, implementing corrective action, and proficiency testing program.
9) Maintains awareness of and follows all corporate and BHS Pathology compliance policies and procedures
10) Observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior
Required Work Experience:
1) in Medical Laboratory Science or BA BS in Science
Preferred Work Experience:
1) None Listed
Skills and Competencies:
1) Basic to Intermediate laboratory skills acquired through experience or clinical training
This is a per diem position with the Chemistry Team.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associates of Science: Clinical Laboratory Science (Required), Bachelor of Science
Medical Technologist - American Society for Clinical Pathology
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs