Baystate Health Hierarchical Condition Category Registered Nurse Educator in Springfield, Massachusetts
HCC Coding Nurse
Must have the following:
Chronic illness diagnoses Coding
Knowledge of CMS HCC guidelines and application relevant to improved documentation and favorable reimbursement
HCC concepts and determines impact on Population Health Risk Adjustment reimbursement initiatives
Acts as primary resource in HCC guidelines and coding practices. Teaches and mentors providers and staff.
Teaches and mentors providers and staff in addition to public speaking
Utilize multiple reports related to risk adjustment to determine focus audit or educational outreach and initiatives directly affecting reimbursement
One to three paragraphs describing job function. In addition to job qualifications this will be used for posting. This section should include tie to line of sight and employee engagement – how this job relates to our vision and mission. (Do not use bulleted text.)
The HCC Nurse is responsible for the chart review and ICD-10 diagnosis coding of risk adjustment eligible members. This position will have responsibility for review of medical records to identify appropriate ICD-10 diagnosis codes to capture the complexity of patient conditions and improve the accuracy of the problem list, and increase revenue and avoid losses. By capturing quality indicators (Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set - HEDIS) and Medicare Risk Adjustments (MRA) the HCC nurse will improve accuracy and completeness of problem lists to reflect chronic conditions per Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hierarchical Conditions Categories (HCC) guidelines. .This will support the accuracy of documentation and billing diagnoses and increase physician satisfaction with support provided
Adheres to system and department compliance policies, and any and all applicable laws and regulations. Performs other duties as assigned.
Expansion of the summary description. Specific job related responsibilities that will be used to measure performance. Please check which job responsibilities are “Essential Functions” as defined by the Americans With Disability Act. View ADA Requirements (http://eworkplace/portal/site/compensation/menuitem.a1af5bb58266f8e5a486a4862182a1a0/)
1) Reviews documentation and abstracts all codes with specific emphasis on identifying the most accurate severity of illness according to CMS HCC (Hierarchical Conditions Categories) guidelines.
2) Effectively uses computer to review and interpret medical records and applies in-depth knowledge of coding principles to validate missing, incomplete or incorrect International Classification of Disease-10 (ICD-10) diagnosis codes.
3) Assist in the development of appropriate forms for data collection and analysis.
4) Applies HCC concepts and determines impact on Population Health Risk Adjustment reimbursement initiatives
5) Acts as primary resource in HCC guidelines and coding practices. Teaches and mentors providers and staff.
6) Utilizes multiple reports related to risk adjustment to determine focus audit or educational outreach and initiatives directly affecting reimbursement.
a. Identify and confirm unreported and/or unresolved medical conditions of members based on supportive medical documentation.
b. Applies ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes to Cerner Problem List.
c. Removes duplicate, non-specific or resolved ICD-10 Diagnosis codes from problem List.
7) Inquires with Physicians when ICD-10 code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes; follows up with Physician until resolved.
8) Identifies and reports issues or errors, such as incomplete or missing records and documentation, ambiguous or nonspecific documentation, or codes that do not conform to approved coding guidelines.
9) Promotes Medicare Wellness Visits for eligible patients to enhance patient care and improved coding and budget opportunities.
10) Supports clinical outcome management
11) Supports activities and projects as assigned
12) Supports onboarding of new patients to assure complete documentation of problem list and health maintenance.
Unless otherwise required by certification, licensure, or registration, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the minimally required education and/or experience listed in the Qualifications section below.
Minimally Required Education
Minimally Required Experience
Three or more years of RN clinical experience
Strong clinical knowledge related to chronic illness diagnoses.
Excellent understanding of clinical documentation requirements in order to support an active diagnosis.
Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, and medical prescription & over-the-counter drugs used to treat conditions.
Skill in communicating effectively both verbally and in writing.
Computer literate in Microsoft Office Suite and coding application used in a functional area.
Skill in planning, organizing, prioritizing and working independently.
Demonstrated skills to meet and exceed productivity and quality expectations.
Knowledge of CMS HCC guidelines and application relevant to improved documentation and favorable reimbursement.
Skill in assessing and taking appropriate action with little guidance.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Assoc of Science in Nursing (Required), Bachelor of Nursing Degree
Driver License - Other, Registered Nurse - State of Massachusetts
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs