Baystate Health ED Medic - Full Time - 36 Hours - 11am-11pm in Springfield, Massachusetts
The Emergency Department Medic performs a variety of technical tasks and bedside functions as part of the adult emergency department care team. Responsibilities include direct patient care, mobility, internal/external transfers, and monitoring. Multi-skilled is needed in the unit to perform duties relative to all phlebotomy, technical skills, assisting in procedures and EKGs. Expected to manage equipment in conjunction with unit leadership and perform or assist in procedures on the unit as an integral team member. Responsible for knowledge of set up and assists in procedure and patient prep for exams. Possesses experience in upholding department goals of patient care by maximizing throughput and expediting care in an emergency setting.
The Emergency Department Medic may serve on unit or organizational level process improvement/quality committees. The Emergency Department Medic may be required to assist in training and maintaining staff competencies by working with nursing educators on training materials and skills days.
This description covers the essential functions of the position. The incumbent is expected to perform other similar and related duties as assigned. Management has the right to change or add to the job responsibilities at any time.
1) Measures and records vital signs within specified time frame. Consistently reports to RN/Physician any significant deviations in vital signs, normal and abnormal patient assessment data specific to the patient complaint/diagnosis/age. Documents findings in the patients Electronic Medical Records.
2) Administers treatments and procedures in accordance with Baystate Health policies/procedures. Assists with exams and procedures. Assures identity of patient by checking identification bracelet prior to performing any procedure consistently utilizing Positive Patient Identification lab collection manager system. Follows established process and protocols for phlebotomy.
3) Assists patients with elimination of body wastes.
Makes available or offers bedpan, urinal and emesis basin immediately after patient request as indicated by absence of patient complaints. Accurately labels and sends specimens of urine, feces, wound cultures and sputum within 30 minutes of specified time frame unless otherwise discussed with RN/AP/Physician.
4) Performs point-of-care testing to include department specified testing (e.g I-STAT, Urinalysis, Glucose testing, Pregnancy testing, Covid testing) and all QA associated with the Point-of-care testing functions. Performs proficiency tests and participates in unit inspections to help maintain laboratory regulatory status.
5) Assists with assessment and treatment by following specified orders as delegated by the RN/Provider or as part of routine treatment plans. Monitors patient’s condition during treatment and notifies RN/Provider with appropriate of unexpected occurrences. Provides treatment within the specified time frame. Documents treatments and activities consistently.
6) Communicates effectively with care team and patients.
Interacts with patients in a respectful and informative manner. Clearly communicates information related to patient care to the team. Recognizes culturally based patient and family needs. Keeps positive patient experience a priority.
7) Is knowledgeable of and initiates emergency procedures. Responds effectively in emergency situations as specified in Baystate Health policy. Works to maintain patient safety at all times.
8) Functions as an effective member of the team. Assists team members with clinical activities. Provides feedback related to the team process. Assists team members with non-clinical job related activities.
9) Maintains knowledge of current throughput and patient flow in the Emergency department. Actively engages in patient flow initiatives .
10) Refers to written policies, processes and standards when needed for guidance in making decisions.Compliance with duties and responsibilities will be monitored for adherence to requirements. .
11) Provide for patient safety at all times by maintaining a patient room free of clutter and waste; implementing appropriate safety practices and protocols.
12) Maintains competency with relevant emergency department processes including patient flow, and quality measures.
13) Works to promote effective clinical communications between EMS staff and emergency department staff.
14) Works with nursing education on training materials/skills day fairs to assist with training and maintenance of staff competencies.
15) Restraints - Assessment/Monitoring, Alternatives, & Documentation.
16) Initiates timely performance of EKG's on all patients presenting with potential cardiovascular complaints.
17) Initiates appropriate Baystate Health approved treatment protocols based on patient presentation.
18) Initiates peripheral IV insertion using proper technique according to Baystate Health policies requiring a co-signature by RN for documentation.
19) Monitoring of Telemetry during transport for procedures and or transportation to designated floors.
20) Adheres to confidentiality policies
Unless otherwise required by certification, licensure, or registration, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the minimally required education and/or experience listed in the Qualifications section below.
Required Work Experience :
1 ) Current Emergency Department Technician with validation of required skill competency.
Preferred Work Experience:
1 ) 3 years paramedic
Skills and Competencies:
1) Any procedure/skill approved with validation and competency by Baystate Health
2) Peripheral IV insertion and care with validation and competency by Baystate Health
3) Telemetry Monitoring/Defibrillation with validation of competency by Baystate Health
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science, GED or HiSET (Required)
Advanced Cardiac Life Support - Other, Basic Life Support - Other, Driver License - Other, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) - Paramedic - Other, NIMS ICS 200 - Other, NIMS ICS 700 Certified - FEMA Federal Emergency Management Institute
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ab out Baystate Health
Baystate Health (BH) is one of New England’s leading and largest integrated health care organizations, serving a population of nearly one million people throughout western New England. With roots dating back to the founding of Springfield City Hospital in 1873, Baystate Health has been providing high-quality and compassionate health care in western Massachusetts for more than 145 years. With more than 12,000 employees, a medical staff of nearly 3,100 physicians, and a net patient service revenue of more than $1.4 billion, the ever-growing health system includes five Massachusetts hospitals and the Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center in Ware:
Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
Baystate Children’s Hospital (located at Baystate Medical Center)
Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
Baystate Wing Hospital in Palmer
Baystate Noble Hospital in Westfield
- Baystate Health Jobs