Tenet Healthcare Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant II 40hours days in Natick, Massachusetts
Phlebotomist/Laboratory Assistant II 40hours days - 2105041583
2k Sign On Bonus
Paid out in two increments in the 1st year
MetroWest Medical Center is the largest community health care system between Worcester and Boston. MetroWest Medical Center is committed to providing high quality, comprehensive care, at a location close to home. The 307-bed regional healthcare system includes Framingham Union Hospital, Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick and the MetroWest Wellness Center. MetroWest Medical Center has been named to the 2019 America’s 100 Best Hospitals List by Healthgrades.
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the department leader performs routine technical and clerical functions. Performs venipuncture, specimen receipt and distribution of laboratory specimens; will perform CLIA waived laboratory tests as requested. Provides care to patients of all ages with strict adherence to labelling and compliance policies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. TECHNICAL: CPA or Phlebotomy Desk: Enters patient data into laboratory information system. Resolves discrepancies and missing information, must be aware of all appropriate coding for tests and billing. Obtains medical history from patient and/or patient record. Produces labels, verifies information on all forms and directs specimens to technical area for processing. Distributes reports in a timely and accurate manner. Edits Lab requisitions for completeness and medical necessity. Performs all duties for sample processing. Includes centrifugation, pour-off, and distribution of samples to appropriate workbench/department within turnaround time parameters. Processes all reference lab send-out specimens. Has knowledge of proper specimen requirements and gives instruction upon inquiry. Obtains specimens: selects venipuncture equipment appropriate for test order; draws blood specimens using knowledge of basic anatomy. Monitors patient for negative reactions, and takes appropriate measures to allay patient anxiety. Label, process and pack samples according to manifest for transport to lab. Will perform waived testing, and assist in microbiology processing and plating specimens, as requested. Follows all SOPs.
2. COMMUNICATION: Answers telephone inquiries professionally and courteously. Provides information, directs calls, and takes messages. Assists caller in resolving problems when possible. Communicates with other Laboratory Sections. Responds to inquiries from physicians' offices, verifies or confirms patients' orders as needed. Greet patients and clients with high regard to patient experience and customer service goals.
3. QC/QA: Ensures that all information is properly entered into the computer to provide accurate results to physicians. Works with supervisors to resolve problems. Adheres to safety regulations and attends safety seminars. Maintains a clean and safe work environment. Prepares routine reports showing weekly statistics of test volume and patient waiting times. Maintains appropriate logs and records. Assures that written physician orders are in compliance per policies; renews physician standing order requests. Completes all competencies as required by regulatory agencies and institution.
4. DOCUMENTATION: Using the computer system, records patient information and blood specimen information as samples are received. Logs and tracks complaints and comments from accounts. Reviews MNO reports for missing/incorrect information and takes corrective action when necessary. Records results in the computer system, assuring that patient identification, test name, and results are accurately recorded. Completes all QA forms, recording errors, issues, and concerns, patient or physician complaints, and any other issues affecting patient care. Assists techs with review and follow-up of Outstanding Specimen Log. Prepares routine reports showing weekly statistics of tests requested by physicians and monthly statistics by test.
5. SPECIAL DUTIES: Takes and fills supply orders from offices. Orders and maintains supplies. Delivers STAT samples to the laboratory. Covers as a phlebotomist in other areas as needed. Participates in training of new employees.
Onboarding Process: Please be advised that candidates must successfully complete a background check and pre-employment health screening which includes a drug screen.
OTHER JOB KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS:
Required: High school diploma or equivalent, 1 year of laboratory experience and/or completion of a formal phlebotomy training program.
Preferred: Completion of formal phlebotomy training program and/or national phlebotomy certification through ASCP, ANP, ASPT or similar. 2 years basic laboratory computer/lab information system experience.
1. Frequent standing, walking, and bending during course of duties. Concentrated attention required.
2. Frequent exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, reagents, or specimens.
Job : Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Primary Location : MA-Natick
Hospital/Facility : MetroWest Medical Center
Job Type: : Full-time
Shift Type: : Days
Req ID: 2105041583