Tenet Healthcare Nurse Extern Adult Geriatric Psychiatry Per Diem in Natick, Massachusetts
Nurse Extern Adult Geriatric Psychiatry Per Diem - 2105018059
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Nurse Extern role is designed to provide expanded clinical experience for professional (RN) nursing students and to assist the Registered Nursing staff by performing patient care activities, to include participating in patient care planning, implementation, observation and evaluation, as well as reporting significant observations to a Registered Nurse.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Works under direction and general supervision of the Nurse Manager, Charge Nurse, or Registered Nurse as required and according to established nursing policies and procedures and provides or assist staff with routine patient care needs, communication, comfort, safety, documentation, and treatments. Ensures quality and safe delivery of care to patients in the following age groups: All ages - Neonate, Infancy, Toddler, Preschool, School Age, Adolescent, Adult, and Geriatric.
1. CLINICAL PRACTICE
Performs all aspects of clinical practice according to standards of care, including, but not limited to: assessment, planning, implementing, evaluation, intervention, organization of work, priority setting, decision making and follow up, activities of daily living. Participates in unit based quality control initiatives, identifies opportunities for performance improvement, and takes appropriate action.*
Duties and responsibilities to include but not limited to the following:
• Provides patients with physical, emotional, and spiritual care using appropriate resources according to nursing policy and procedures (i.e., bathing, bed making, positioning, ADLs, skin care, incontinence care, toileting rounds every 2 hours).
• Perform routine treatment procedures and assist with specialty bed functions.
• Assist nursing staff in complicated treatment procedures; perform routine treatment procedures.
• Provide basic patient care; take and record vital signs to include temperature, pulse, respiration, weight, height, blood pressure and intake-output measurements.
• Collect, label, and transport specimens.
• Make rounds, handle patient requests, report and record changes in condition or behavior of patients or unusual incidents, within scope of training.
• Clean patient care rooms, equipment and instruments; report equipment problems; order and store supplies; maintain appropriate levels.
• Assist and accompany patients in the admission, transfer and discharge process.
• Prepare patients for meals, and assist designated patients to chair, with ambulation, or to the bathroom.
2. QUALITY AND SAFETY
Demonstrates a proactive approach to patient safety by following and adheres to standards of infection control in the care of all patients. Reduces risks to patients, other employees, and self through use of proper body mechanics. Demonstrates workplace pride by maintaining patient areas in a neat and orderly condition (i.e., answers call lights in a timely manner, empties linens and fills carts, and keeps table tops free of trash). In the event of emergencies (fires, Code Blue, Code Purple, and stat calls), performs assigned duties under the direction of the Nurse Manager or Charge Nurse.
Completes documentation using approved MWMC forms according to established legal and MWMC policy and procedure. Includes, but is not limited to, SNAP tool, patient teaching forms, PIE notes, CBE notations, and incident forms. Under the direction of registered nurse mentor, transcribes and inputs physician orders accurately and in a timely manner, using the nurse order entry system.4. COMMUNICATION/THERAPEUTIC RELATIONSHIPS
Communicates and collaborates with all health team members, patients, and families face to face, using the telephone, or with written adjuncts. Ensures patient care needs are met in a timely manner and follow through is initiated and/or completed. May act as a patient advocate. *Remains informed of discharge plans. Encourages open communication to foster a positive, professional environment. Incorporates the care model into patient care. Utilizes systems to remain apprised of patient status/needs and of facilitating information to mentoring nurse and oncoming shifts.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
1. High school diploma or equivalent required. Nursing Students who have completed their first clinical rotation of an accredited professional (RN) school of nursing program
2. CPR Certification required
3. Excellent interpersonal skills
Patient care environment. Moderate to heavy lifting; prolonged standing and walking; bending and stooping. Potential contact with blood and body fluids.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this position. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities associated with the position.
Job : Nursing
Primary Location : MA-Natick
Hospital/Facility : MetroWest Leonard Morse Hospital
Job Type: : PT2Y
Shift Type: : Rotate
Req ID: 2105018059