Nantucket Cottage Hospital Ultrasound Tech in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Part-time, 36 hours per week, Day shift
Reports to and functions under the general supervision of the Department Manager. Operates ultrasound equipment and performs all diagnostic examinations per protocols. Understands and applies ultrasound technology for patient care; maintains pertinent records.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
Conducts scanning process using ultrasound equipment; move transducer over specified body area, adjusting equipment to produce optimum image; records digital images as directed for radiologist interpretation. o Reviews patient history and other supporting clinical data to facilitate optimum diagnostic results. o Explains procedures to patients to assure cooperation and understanding of exam. o Selects appropriate transducer depending upon area of interest and depth of field. o Positions patient for optimal results as required per exam. o Reschedules exams, as necessary, due to poor prep, etc.
QCs images and ensures that images are transferred to PACS and available for radiologist interpretation.
Assembles all necessary information and diagnostic images for Radiologist-exam completed in the RIS, NOTES, report impression as applicable.
- Assists physician in such procedures as interventional procedures, etc.; scans patient, marks patient's body, determines angle for puncture while maintaining sterile technique.
- Maintains a high standard of professionalism at all times.
- Actively supports Mission, Vision and Values and departmental initiatives.
- Maintains a clean and neat working area (i.e. clean laundry bags, counters, cabinets, machines, etc.).
- Ensures cleanliness of all probes, including appropriate high-level disinfectant technique for endocavity probes.
- May oversee, instruct and orientate various and new personnel within the department(e.g., mentoring and training to students as assigned).
- Works effectively under pressure and remains respectful of all.
- Able to work effectively and efficiently alone or as part of the team.
- Provides emergency on-call as needed or required.
- Performs all other duties as directed.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
Knowledge / Skills:
- Able to demonstrate adequate technical skills and judgment to function unsupervised during on-call, second shift, and weekend hours.
- Must have adequate interpersonal skills to interact effectively with patients who may be under physical and/or emotional stress.
- Must possess analytical abilities necessary to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of imaging processes, techniques and procedures.
- Ability to adapt to changing pace within the department, frequent interruptions.
- Present a positive attitude and a professional appearance.
- Comprehensive understanding of computer operations relating to patient information and management (CPSI, PAC’s etc.).
- Willingness to adapt to diverse roles as a member of the department team.
- Must adhere to safety standard established by the hospital and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to relay information concisely to department manager, radiologist, staff, patients and other hospital personnel.
- Communication skills sufficient to resolve conflicts, and relay information concisely to department manager, radiologist, staff, patients and other hospital personnel.
- Ability to provide compassionate care to patients.
- Ability to recognize emergency situations and respond appropriately.
- Ability to lift over 5 lbs and has knowledge of and practices proper body mechanics-ergonomics.
- Must be able to speak, read and write English.
- Must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the principles of growth and development of patients of all age groups. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on the assigned unit.
- Proficient in use of all equipment: Philips scanner
Credentials and Experience Required:
- Certificate of successful completion of a DMS program.
- Completion of clinical experience required.
- Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) certified by ARDMS.
- Minimum 2 years ultrasound experience hospital-based ultrasound environment.
- CPR certification.
- Regular workweek in which additional hours are often required
- Flexibility of work schedule (i.e. hours/ days)
- Position requires frequent on-call work
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency
- Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Ultrasound Tech
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3277473