Nantucket Cottage Hospital Surgical Tech - Full Time in Nantucket, Massachusetts
The surgical technologist is an allied health care professional who works in collaboration with the RN circulator, and the supervision and delegative authority of the surgeon, to facilitate the safe and effective care of the surgical or procedural patient
Education and Experience:
- The individual holds an associate degree in Surgical Technology or is a graduate of an equivalent, accredited Surgical Technologist Program and maintains a certified surgical technologist credential or o Has successfully completed an accredited school of surgical technology but has not, as of the date of hire, obtained the certified technologist certification, provided that such certification shall be obtained within 12 months of the graduation date. o Has been employed as a surgical technologist in a surgical facility on July 1, 2013. o Has successfully completed a training program for surgical technology in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the United States or in the United States Public Health Service (MA Senate Bill 2058, December 2012).
- American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required
- Surgical Technologist Certification required for SEIU Grade 13.
- One year of Operating Room experience is preferred.
_Duties and Responsibilities_
- Adheres to scope of practice as a Surgical Technologist
- Maintains a safe operating room environment as prescribed by Hospital policy, AORN and AST Standards of Care, and regulatory requirements.
- Adheres to isolation protocols established by Infection Prevention and standard precautions for blood/body fluid policies utilizing OSHA Standards.
- Maintains a working understanding of, and adherence to, aseptic technique
- Maintains integrity of sterile field
- Ensures a safe environment for the perioperative patient and staff
- Applies knowledge of proper patient positioning
- Applies knowledge of prepping technique
- Prepares and understands the specific use of all supplies and equipment used for surgical procedures.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and handles the instruments and supplies, and equipment utilized during the procedure
- Demonstrates proper procedure for decontamination, cleaning, packaging, and sterilization of special equipment and instruments
- Must be able to function in CSR to cover needs. Ensures proper preparation of instruments and equipment.
- Participates in surgical time out and surgical debriefing
- Demonstrates proper specimen collection, identification, and transportation techniques
- Assists in the preparation and labeling of medications on the sterile field in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Adheres to department procedure for the prevention of retained surgical items through the proper completion of surgical counts. Communicates results of surgical counts to surgeon
- Assists in room turnover and in-between case cleaning.
- Assists in maintaining adequate stock of supplies in the surgical suites, clean supply room, and sterile supply room
- Demonstrates perioperative emergency preparedness (Fire, Code Blue, Malignant Hyperthermia)
- Performs duties as a preceptor for new hires to surgical technologist position
- Participates in unit staff meetings, in-service programs and educational programs relative to career development. Performs other work-related duties and activities as assigned or requested by his/her immediate supervisor.
- Adheres to the organization’s Code of Conduct and conducts self in a professional manner
- May be required to float to other areas as helping hands
- Respects patients’ inherent rights to privacy, dignity and safety.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Knowledge of current AST standards of practice required.
- Maintains skill level, competency and certification on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to clearly communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Must be able to demonstrate adequate technical skills and judgment to function during on-call, second shift, and weekend hours.
- Ability to stand and walk approximately ninety percent (90%) of shift, with frequent
bending, reaching, stooping, squatting, and helping to lift objects and/or patients ranging from five(5) to three hundred (300) or more pounds.
_Special Requirements__ _
- Available to work day, evening and/or night shift as well as rotation on weekends as assigned. Able to rotate to units as helping hands
- Able to fill call requirements
- Willing to work additional shifts and overtime as neededto complete all job duties.
- May be exposed to the following hazards:temperature fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, infectious diseases and other chemicals as customarily used in a hospital setting. Exposure to various hazards in handling patient transports.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency
Job: *Surgical Tech
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Surgical Tech - Full Time
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3162536