Nantucket Cottage Hospital RN - Clinic - Per Diem in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Per Diem, Rotating shifts
Job Summary: The RN is a licensed professional who supports medical providers in delivering of patient and family centered health care in an ambulatory care setting. The nurse reports to the Clinical Nurse Manager and is responsible for working side by side with the providers, hospital leadership, and health care team to oversee the delivery of quality patient care through the daily operations of the office, which may include the supervision of the medical assistants (MA).
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- As a registered nurse, participates in the day-to-day clinical activities to ensure a patient focused, quality environment of care is delivered and maintained. Ensures compliance with NCH/NCMG best practices and policies.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients/family members/staff.
- Collaborates withPractice Supervisor, Practice Director, Clinical nurse manager, Community Affiliate Practices,and hospital leadership to identify current and future practice needs. Participates in the development of work plans and implements changes to support the primary care and specialty models. Participates in special projects, as assigned.
- Promotes an environment that is sensitive to the culturally diverse needs of patients and staff.
- Facilitates and develops a positive working relationship among departments of the MGH/NCMG and NCH.
- Complies with and monitors adherence to HIPAA policies and procedures related to management of protected health information.
- Creates and maintains policies, procedures, and guidelines related to practice operations, including those related to point-of-care testing, new medications and therapies, and patient flow. Monitors adherence to policies.
- Serves as departmental resource for preparation for Joint Commission and other regulatory site visits. Ensures the environment of care is maintained.
- Implements quality measures as directed by MGH/NCMG and NCH Quality teams. Participates in government and private insurers programs to ensure practice flow supports quality goals.
- Meets hand hygiene and other infection control practices.
- Maintains necessary clinical skills through self-directed clinical practice and self-examination as required to maintain licensure.
- All other related duties to support the optimal functioning of the NCMG & Specialty offices as assigned.
_Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities_
Responsible for handling calls from patients and/or patient representative who are seeking medical information and/or medical attention. Facilitates scheduling of appointments as the patient’s condition requires, answer questions and provide health education to patients on the phone who have questions about their care.
Specific duties include:
- Participates in daily “morning huddle,” proactively identifying clinical care, concerns, and needs for patient’s/families scheduled for the day.
- Helps facilitate the processing of medication refills.
- Conducts patient call-backs/follow-up calls within a timely manner and documents the interaction within the EHR.
- Supports the office team with obtaining required medical records/consults/test results.
- Completes medical and treatment pre-authorizations in a timely manner.
- Helps make referral to outside institutions if clinical expertise is needed.
- Assists the providers and other office staff with scheduling patients for required medical appointments, utilizing EMR, and other available scheduling systems.
- Assists the provider as needed with EMR inbasket management.
- Administers immunizations within established practice guidelines
- Completion of a pre-visit comprehensive assessment, intake, and history of new patients.
- Rooming patients and preparing the patient and room for the provider, to include the following: o Gathering of all appropriate supplies. o Opening the clinical record using the appropriate template. o Review and documentation of all relevant clinical information in each patient’s records, to include: + # * Chief complaint/reason for visit/nursing assessment. * Current and past medications (medication reconciliation). * Relevant patient, family, and social history (including smoking status). * Health Maintenance status/requirements. * Nursing care provided. * Vaccine status and administration. * Vital signs. * Fall screening for patients >65. * Review and document allergies. * Ensure patient’s choice of pharmacy is noted.
- Completion of screening and evaluation forms (PEDS and Post-Partum Screenings).
- Review PROMS questionnaire.
- Confirm all appropriate patient consents for treatment/care (surgical procedures, Care in L&D, Sterilization, etc.) are obtained and help provide education, along with the provider if necessary.
- Ensures all required insurance/forms are reviewed and signed by the patient (Medicare physical and medication/vaccine waivers).
- Comprehensive teaching and education of patients and/or their families utilizing current, standardized teaching tools and handouts.
- Assists the provider with treatments/screenings.
- Completes medication/treatment pre-authorizations.
- Completion of all nurse visits, in a timely manner, to include: o Providing and recording appropriate assessment and treatment data. o Consults with provider, as required. o Completion of coding within the EHR in accordance with documented industry standards and Partners Policy.
- Sends/responds to clinical messages in a timely manner.
- Assists other nurses as needed.
- Keep rooms adequately stocked_._
- Assist patients in and out of wheelchairs and other assistance as needed_._
- Other duties as assigned.
- Telephone Triage o Responds to patient phone calls in a timely manner, collecting sufficient information related to the presenting problem and medical history. o Furnishes medical advice within the scope of the practice. o Facilitates the scheduling of appointments, based on necessity. o Accurately documents the encounter with the patient in the EMR. o Maintains workqueuewithin the EMR.
_Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Knowledge of**basic nursing principles.
- Goodcomputer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office, electronic medical record systems, and medical office practice applications.
- Effective analytical skills.
- Demonstrated strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to use fingers and hands to operate all department-related equipment as described on the Department checklist. Additionally, must use, (who has a beeper still?) telephone, calculator, fax, copier, scanner, and other related office equipment.
- Ability to frequently bend, using back and knees.
- Ability to stand and walk 40 sit 60 of the time. Ability to frequently climb, bend, reach, stoop, squat, help lift objects from five to fifty pounds and move patients via wheelchair or stretcher. Ability to independently lift from five to twenty-five pounds.
- Ability to present themselves in a professional manner.
- Ability to develop a rapport with providers, clinical staff, patients, and families.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with managers, employees, vendors, contractors, and other agencies. Demonstrated ability to be flexible, highly organized and make independent decisions in response to operational issues within medical office environments.Knowledge of basic principles of practice/departmental management.
_Credentials and Experience Required_
- Graduate of an Accredited Nursing School.
- Current Registered Nurse licensure in Massachusetts.
- Certificate as a provider of BLS.
- Other certifications as needed to preform clinical tasks within the clinical setting as required.
- Minimum of 3 years relevant clinical experience preferred.
- Work hours will be determined by the Director of the practice and/or the Clinical Nurse Manager and needs of the practice and will include some weekends.
- Overtime as necessary to complete assigned work.
- Must be available to work in the case of a declared hospital emergency.
- May be required to attend meetings on or off the island.
Job: *Registered Nurse
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: RN - Clinic - Per Diem
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3228523