Nantucket Cottage Hospital Retail Pharmacy Tech I - Full Time in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Full-time, 40 hours per week, Rotating shifts
Working together with our community to achieve whole person wellness through health and related services.
An island community that enjoys physical, mental, emotional, & spiritual wellness.
Working under the direction of the Pharmacy Manager and Pharmacists, the Retail Pharmacy Technician may rotate throughout various assigned areas of the Pharmacy. Responsibilities may include; reception, drop-off, data entry, adjudication, robot automation, filling prescriptions, answering phones, pick-point will call system, pick-up area and point of sale, medication delivery, return to stock, mailing medications, attending staff meetings, checking expiration dates on medications, providing support to the Pharmacists and assisting in other areas as needed.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Works with Pharmacy Manager and Pharmacists to meet goals of the department.
- Provides kind and professional patient service.
- Greets patients at the drop-off window and obtains proper identification and allergy information.
- Provides coverage at the pick-up window.
- Works with automated dispensing machine.
- Works the pharmacy insurance adjudication queue.
- Manages and triages incoming phone calls and distinguishes issues requiring Pharmacist judgment.
- Fills prescription orders.
- Processes prescriptions through the pharmacy software system.
- Files paper prescriptions.
- Contacts providers for prior authorizations.
- Resolves problems and adheres to customer service standards.
- Escalates issues to Pharmacists as needed.
- Delivers medications to hospital patients being discharged as needed.
- Attends department staff meeting or reviews slides from the staff meeting.
- Assists with Pharmacy projects as needed.
- Always keeps Pharmacy in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Adheres to departmental and hospital security protocols.
- Assures refrigerators and freezers are maintained within proper range and are kept neat and orderly.
- Responds to any out of range temperature reading to ensure the integrity of stored medications.
- Adheres to all Pharmacy and NCH policies and procedures.
- Monitors expiration dates on stock medications.
- Alerts supervisor of any inventory issues.
- Checks expiration dates of all medications and supplies.
- Assures that adequate communication is maintained between staff for continuity of service.
- Uses good judgment: must be able to distinguish when the needs of the patients come first.
- Assists with new employee orientation in the pharmacy as needed.
- Monitors current inventory and participates in annual inventory process.
- Troubleshoots problems with ADS machines and other equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required_
- Ability to work effectively with all NCH staff.
- Ability to provide compassionate care to patients.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions, develop and complete follow-up actions.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to work well on a team as well as independently.
- Ability to recognize emergency situations and respond appropriately.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent customer service skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate adequate technical skills and judgment.
- Ability to pass department competencies.
- Strong understanding of computer technology.
- Exceptional organizational skills and flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong skills in Chemistry and math including a strong science background, knowledge of the metric system, knowledge of basic pharmacy practices and procedures, knowledge of medications and medical supplies, and strong mathematical computation skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of a formalized Pharmacy Technician training program.
- 1 year of Pharmacy experience preferred.
- National Pharmacy Technician Certification (PTCB) preferred.
_Required Behavioral Skills_
- Dedication to Excellence:Commitment to work together to meet the needs of those we serve in the most competent, professional and compassionate way.
- Respect:The dignity and individual rights of every patient and employee are seen as the responsibility of every caregiver, employee and patient.
- Integrity:Commitment to the highest personal, organizational and ethical standards; providing patient care in a responsible, accountable manner.
- Quality:Efficient service to the community with the highest level of skill while striving for continuous improvement.
- Confidentiality:Privileged information is protected, and privacy standards are upheld.
- Communication:Effective and appropriate exchange of information with our patients, community, staff and partners in healthcare.
- Safety:Dedicated to providing an emotionally and physically safe and accessible environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Teamwork:Fostering an open, creative, and challenging work environment built on respect.
- Day & evening shifts, some weekends.
- Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.
- Ability to help lift objects ranging from 5 to 30 pounds.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Job: *Pharmacy Technician
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Retail Pharmacy Tech I - Full Time
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3208928