Nantucket Cottage Hospital Registered Nurse in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Full-time, 40 hours per week, rotating shifts
The Registered Staff Nurse is a professional nurse who renders quality nursing care. Nursingcare is based upon the assessed needs of the patient, is congruent with the prescribed therapy of the medical staff and is based on theNursingDepartment’s philosophy of nursing, and the Hospital’s mission, vision and values. The Registered Staff Nurse will assess, plan, implement, and evaluate care for all patients. The Registered Staff Nurse is accountable for the delivery of quality patient care, utilizing the nursing process for all patients from birth through their adult life cycle.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Collects and documents all data pertinent to each patient’s actual and potential needs on admission or within twenty-four (24) hours of admission.
- Documents and reports significant finding of ongoing patient assessment.
- Formulates the patient plan of care based on age-specific needs and acceptable standards of practice.
- Communicates the patient plan of care (written/verbal) through shift reports and other established procedures.
- Initiates discharge plan (with guidance when needed) within twenty-four (24) hours of admission.
- Implements and documents teaching plan in the patient record.
- Organizes own patient care and demonstrates ability to set priorities, providing most acutely needed care first and implementing physician and nursing orders within appropriate timeframes.
- Demonstrates proficiency in administering treatments, procedures, and equipment appropriate to the unit/department as demonstrated by the skills checklist.
- Administers safely and documents medications according to established procedures.
- Uses standard precautions as outlined in the Nursing Department Infection Control Manual.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize patient/unit needs.
- Completes discharge screening tool upon admission, appropriate referrals to other care services, and implements individualized teaching plan based on actual discharge needs.
- Evaluates nursing interventions to changing patient situations as demonstrated by patient outcome.
- Prioritizes nursing interventions in complex and rapidly changing patient situations, as evidenced by the patient outcome and documentation in the record.
- Demonstrates competency in the following areas by physical demonstration, verbal or written exam (medical equipment, age specific assessment and intervention, procedures such as IV therapy, medication administration, initiation of telemetry, etc.), as may be required in the performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Attends mandatory Hospital/Nursing Department in-service training sessions and meetings.
- Actively participates in 75% of unit staff meetings, patient care conferences, and/or one (1) project relevant to the unit per year.
- Maintains an environment that is committed to high standards of patient care and supportive of Nursing Department staff providing that care.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for providing open communication, consensus decision-making, group goal setting and shared responsibility.
- Assumes authority, responsibility and accountability for nursing practice.
- Functions in a collaborative and collegial relationship with other health professionals and providers.
- Demonstrates consideration toward patients, family members and other Hospital personnel by communicating in a professional manner, acknowledging and understanding their concerns and speaking to them in a manner which demonstrates concern, dignity and respect.
- Adheres to Hospital/Nursing Department policy and dresses in a manner that represents the nursing profession as a professional; maintains personal cleanliness of dress and hygiene, wears identification badge at all times while working.
- Participates in disciplinary performance improvement and other activities designed for professional growth.
- Reviews and signs all in-service updates.
- Identifies own limitations in skills and knowledge as demonstrated by seeking guidance when needed from appropriate colleagues.
- Identifies and meets individual annual goals.
- Participates in decision-making processes of unit/Nursing Department.
- Demonstrates leadership skills.
- Recognizes acute problems that occur in the unit and intervenes in a safe manner, in accordance with Nursing Department and Hospital procedure.
- Provides assistance to other staff members during orientation and as needed and requested.
- Participates in the development and implementation of Nursing Department goals and objectives by providing constructive feedback.
- When performing the role of Day Charge nurse, attends discharge planning meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality of organizational and patient information in accordance with Hospital policy and applicable statutes.
- Other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Use a telephone, fax, copier, radio, and all other equipment associated with nursing practice.
- Stand and walk 90% of the shift, frequent pushing, climbing, bending, reaching, stooping, squatting and helping lift objects and patients ranging from five (5) to three hundred (300) pounds.
- Use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.
- Utilize face shields/mask, gloves, protective clothing, safety glasses, and other protection associated with the care of patients.
_Credentials and Experience Required___
- Graduate of an accredited nursing school required; Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred.
- One (1) year of prior, related medical/surgical experience preferred.
- Current, valid Massachusetts Registered Nurse (“RN) license required.
- Professional certification in applicable nursing field(s) preferred.
- Certificate as a provider in BLS
- Certificate as a provider in ACLS, PALS and/or Neonatal Resuscitation preferred.
- Completed training in IS-100, IS-700 and any other mandated requirements for emergency management
- Available to work day, evening and/or night shift as well as rotation on weekends as assigned. Must be able to rotate to units as assigned.
- Willing to work additional shifts as assigned.
- Availability to stay overnight should need arise during patient transports off island.
- May be exposed to the following hazards:temperature fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, infectious diseases and other chemicals as customarily used in a hospital setting. Exposure to various hazards in handling patient transports.
- Available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.
- Available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Job: *Registered Nurse
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Registered Nurse
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3140963