Nantucket Cottage Hospital Radiology Tech - New Grads Accepted in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Job Summary:* *
Performs diagnostic radiographic procedures according to department protocols, HFAP/TJC/local regulatory/CMS, State and Federal Regulations. Functions as the first line interaction with customers and is successful in the accomplishment of their imaging needs. Participates in PI/QC activities. Responsible for accurately acquiring images and transmitting of images to PACS.
Employees working in this capacity must meet age-specific competencies related to the following categories:
X* * Neonate/Infant: Birth – 12 months X* * Child / Pediatric: 1 – 12 years
X* * Adolescent:13-17 years X* * Adult:18 – 64 years X* * Geriatric:65 and over
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Positions patients and sets technical factors for all diagnostic procedures. Sets high personal standards for film and image quality.
- Independently recognizes and performs duties which need to be done without being directly assigned. Establishes priorities; organizes work and time to meet them. Uses time effectively and constructively. Does not abuse supplies, equipment, and service.
- Completes all ordered exams as per department protocol - documents why exam is not completed per protocol.
- Greets patients by confirming patient identification; reviewing imaging request; checking for special instructions; confirming anticipated service with patients.
- Ensures all exams are accurately labeled with patient ID, date, technologist ID and time of exam.
- Follows hospital policies to reduce risk of wrong-site, wrong patient, and wrong procedure occurrences.
- Ensures compliance with HFAP/TJC/local regulatory/CMS, State and Federal regulations.
- Maintains medical and surgical aseptic procedures. Adheres to proper infection control guidelines, including but not limited to standard and transmission-based precautions.
- Able to assess pain interfering with imaging procedure- makes appropriate physician contact for intervention.
- Understands Process Improvement (PI) process and participates in new and on-going PI activities.
- Maintains neat & clean workplace appropriate to hospital standards.
- Work pace is consistent with the standards of other workers. Able to assist Radiologist with therapeutic procedures by having all supplies and techniques ready.
- Sets technical factors accurately to minimize patient dose. Utilizes Radiation Safety Techniques while performing radiographic procedures and properly shields patients when appropriate. Follows all radiation safety standards for patients, employees & family members. Consistently determines pregnancy status of women of childbearing age, before performing exam.
- Wears radiation (dosimetry) badge as per protocol.
- Uses personal protective equipment appropriately.
- /Performs radiographic exams at the bedside and in the operating rooms providing diagnostic x- rays to the surgeons and professional staff on patients that are unable to be x-rayed in the Radiology Service due to incapacity or surgical procedures upon request, operates the fluoro unit in the Operating Room./
- Informs and educates patients and families regarding procedure to be performed.
- Ascertains patient understanding of process and informed consent. Ensures consent is signed prior to examination.
Reduces risk of health care acquired infections through proper hand washing and equipment disinfecting.
Documents all medication reactions/infiltrations on appropriate form.
- Works to improve effectiveness of communication among caregivers.
- Properly verifies all studies for accuracy and quality in the PACS system prior to Radiologist interpretation.
- Has all abnormal results that are given verbally read back to ensure accuracy.
- Demonstrates safe / careful use of all equipment. Reports all equipment malfunctions and call for service immediately using department protocol.
- Attends scheduled in-service and mandatory in-service. Communicates ideas to supervisor for a safer layout of equipment, tools, and/or processes.
- Maintains all appropriate licensure and CEU requirements per all governing regulations and department policy.
- Demonstrates courteous and appropriate telephone skills.
- Adheres to attendance and punctuality requirements per hospital policy. Provides proper notification for absences and tardiness. Takes corrective action to prevent recurring absences or tardiness.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
_Essential Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
_Education, Experience, Training_
- Graduate of a program accredited by JRCERT.
- ARRT-R or ARRT-R eligible and registered within 7 months of hire is required.
- Current state license is required.
- Current BLS (AHA) is required.
- Able to demonstrate adequate technical skills and judgment to function unsupervised during on-call, second shift, and weekend hours.
- Must have adequate interpersonal skills to interact effectively with patients who may be under physical and/or emotional stress.
- Must possess analytical abilities necessary to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of imaging processes, techniques and procedures.
- Ability to adapt to changing pace within the department, frequent interruptions.
- Present a positive attitude and a professional appearance.
- Comprehensive understanding of computer operations relating to patient information and management (CPSI, PAC’s etc.).
- Willingness to adapt to diverse roles as a member of the department team.
- Must be aware of hazards with the department (ionizing radiation, universal precautions, etc.) and adhere to safety standard established by the hospital and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to relay information concisely to department manager, radiologist, staff, patients and other hospital personnel.
- Ability perform essential job duties.
- Duties include patient care responsibilities with subsequent exposure to human waste and similar unpleasant elements.
- Failure to follow established procedures and safety practices could result in exposure to radioactivity.
- Subject to frequent stressful situations.
- Lifting and transferring patients from table to stretcher.
- Periodic exposure to poor lighting.
- Regular workweek in which additional hours are often required.
- Flexibility of work schedule (i.e. hours/days)
- Position requires frequent on-call work.
- Must beavailable to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency
Job: *Radiology/Imaging/Ultrasound - Other
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Radiology Tech - New Grads Accepted
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3160649