Nantucket Cottage Hospital Patient Services Coordinator - Summer Temp in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Temporary summer position, 40 hours per week, Rotating shifts
Under general supervision, the Patient Services Coordinator provides administrative support to health care providers in high-volume ambulatory settings, functioning as the primary interface between the patient and the providers. The emphasis is placed on the ability to organize priorities, complete tasks, manage confidential patient information, schedule patient appointments and diagnostic testing, referrals and other managed care related issues. The Patient Services Coordinator is responsible for front desk greeting, check in, check out, scheduling patient appointments, diagnostic testing, coordinating referral, authorizations and managed care related issues. This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day patient flow at time of check-in and check-out. The Patient Services Coordinator is expected to take complete responsibility for every customer interaction by creating a welcoming environment and providing outstanding service. The Patient Services Coordinator will work with colleagues and clinicians in one or a combination of ambulatory settings.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the NCH/NCMG Mission, Standards of Behaviors, and department service vision.
- Enthusiastically connects with a diverse population of patients, caregivers and colleagues.
- Prioritizes work in alignment with the needs of the patients, family members, caregivers and colleagues.
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and handles all situations diplomatically and courteously.
- Consistently maintains a comfortable, clean and safe setting.
- Adheres to department dress policy.
Attention to Detail
- Adheres to assigned schedules to ensure appropriate staffing coverage.
- Performs all check-in and check-out functions.
- Receives and responds to internal and external telephone calls from patients, caregivers, coworkers and other departments.
- Schedules all forms of ambulatory patient appointments.
- Responsible for collecting patient payments.
- Demonstrates strong verbal and written skills.
- Provides accurate information and clear explanations regarding appointment requirements, instructions and policies and procedures.
- Adapts communication style to varying customer needs.
- Employs active listening skills.
Collaboration & Teamwork
- Exhibits diplomacy and communicates with others in a manner that demonstrates respect, professionalism and a commitment to the team.
- Offers and seeks assistance to and from coworkers that supports the team and ensures that patient needs are not compromised.
- Provides cross coverage during unexpected and scheduled absences.
- Participates in department initiatives and contributes to the team’s success.
- Acts as a liaison between key departments, providers and coworkers.
- Assists in mentoring new staff as directed.
Flexibility & Resilience
- Demonstrates flexibility and adapts to shifting priorities in response to the needs of patients, caregivers and colleagues. This includes cross coverage with other ambulatory departments when necessary.
- Responds to change with a positive attitude and remains open-minded.
- Demonstrates ability to rebound quickly when confronted with challenging situations.
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn.
- Has primary responsibility for scheduling and rescheduling patient appointments in accordance with established guidelines. Utilizes wait list to fill cancelled appointments.
- Answers and triages incoming telephone calls, takes messages and assists patients and families with problem resolution both in-person and over the telephone to include the “MD access line”.
- Conducts appointment confirmation calls and sends confirmation letters when applicable.
- Reviews the daily patient schedule and ensures that all appropriate preparations are in place to facilitate efficient patient flow for the day and correct demographic and insurance information is in place. o Understand HMO, managed care and other third-party insurers. Function as a patient resource around managed care plans, and insurance and referral issues with the knowledge to perform electronic insurance verification. Understand financial services and self-pay resources, and to provide patients with information as needed.
- Greets patients and visitors. Performs all patient check-in duties including payment collection, informing patients of anticipated wait times, and collecting and ensuring all necessary paperwork is completed.
- Provides cross coverage as necessary, including lunch and vacation coverage.
- Monitors Televox for patient appointment confirmations.
- Works closely with other Nantucket Cottage Medical Group/Nantucket Cottage Hospital departments to schedule visits.
- Coordinates interpreter services and patient transportation as necessary.
- Prints pre-visit summary and labels at check-in and after visit summary upon check-out with-in the hospital campus.
- Obtains pertinent new patient information.
- Schedules ancillary appointments.
- Responsible for assisting and obtaining appropriate referral information from referral source.
- Pre-screens incoming referrals according to selection criteria.
- Coordinates prior authorizations.
- Coordinates medical documentation, scanning and indexing into the electronic medical record.
- Effectively navigates Epic, legacy systems, Patient Gateway and MS Office suite technology systems. May function as a super-user as applicable.
- Responsible for sorting mail, incoming electronic fax queues and directs correspondence to the appropriate recipient.
- Monitors and manages Patient Gateway daily.
- Coordinates clinical and/or physician administrative schedules.
- Maintains patient confidentiality in compliance with HIPAA guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
_Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and be able to work cooperatively as part of a team and to work independently. Requires strong communication skills and good command of the English language.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally with internal and external customers.
- Proficiency with MS Windows and strong keyboard skills. Demonstrated understanding of managed care and other insurance plans. Knowledge of HIPAA Confidentiality and Privacy Policies. Requires understanding of NCH/NCMG emergency protocols. Scheduling systems knowledge preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology and Epic systems experience desirable.
- Fast paced practice environment handling multiple demands. Exceptional organizational skills and flexibility to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Must demonstrate acumen for attention to detail. Must be able to exercise appropriate judgment as necessary and strong problem-solving skills. Requires ability to adapt positively to changes related to policies, procedures, regulations and staffing.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to handle stress and work in emergency situations.
- Ability to use of fingers and hands to operate all department-related equipment and to perform all job duties. Additionally, must use beeper, telephone, calculator, fax, and other related office equipment.
- Ability to frequently bend, using back and knees.
- Ability to stand and walk 40%, sit 60% of the time. Ability to frequently climb, bend, reach, stoop, squat, help lift objects from five to fifty pounds and move patients via wheelchair or stretcher.
- Ability to present themselves in a professional manner.
- Ability to work both independently or with a team approach.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and courteously with various groups of patients, staff, and providers.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and functions as a resource to other members of the team and resolve complex issues on behalf of the providers and the patients.
_Credentials and Experience Required_
- Associate Degree in Secretarial Science/Business, or a secretarial training certificate program, preferred. Highschool diploma required.
- English language proficiency in speaking, reading, writing and typing is required.
- Medical experience in a Doctor’s office is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years secretarial experience or equivalent in a medical or health care related setting preferred.
- Demonstrates excellent Customer Service skills
- Computer skills including MS Office necessary to utilize multiple programs required.
- Valid driver’s license preferred to run errands locally or if delivery of equipment is required
- Days, evenings, weekends and holidays required for this position.
- Must be available to work in the case of a declared hospital emergency.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Patient Services Coordinator - Summer Temp
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3276162