Nantucket Cottage Hospital Nurse Manager, ED/MedSurg - Full Time in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Responsible for the implementation and evaluation of comprehensive care for all patients as provided by Nursing Department personnel. Collaborates with the CNO/Patient Care Services Officer in assessing staffing needs, budget recommendations, strategic planning, hiring and staff performance, and disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
* Organizes, develops, plans and implements various hospital and/or departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures as needed to provide quality patient care and maintain a sound operation.
* Facilitates a two-way flow of communication between Nursing Department personnel and Hospital management.
* Informs appropriate Nursing Administration staff of incidents, problems, and patient care situations via written and verbal reporting mechanisms.
* Prepares or delegates the preparation of various reports regarding patient status, emergency and/or unusual occurrences and any other reports, as may be needed.
* Recommends staff and personnel needs for the department to the CNO/Patient Care Services Officer and submits applicable data and rationales to support these recommendations.
* Assumes responsibilities, as delegated, in the absence of the CNO/Patient Care Services Officer.
* Delegates effectively and develops in others the willingness and desire to work towards common department objectives.
* Meets budget commitments for materials, supplies, and personnel by controlling expenses and overtime. Seeks alternate methods to achieve budget objectives.
* Directs the activities of the Emergency and Medical/Surgical Department by interpretation of nursing practices as well as long and short-range goals of the department. * Primary duties include the exercise of discretion and independent judgment under the direction of the CNO, with respect to matters of significance in the Hospital’s operations.
* Develops, updates, and Interprets various Hospital and Nursing Department policies, procedures, rules and regulations for assigned Nursing staff. * Reviews and discusses disciplinary action/performance improvement documents with employees, orally or in writing, when applicable or necessary. * Conducts performance appraisals of assigned Nursing Department staff per hospital policy. * Assigns/adjusts staff scheduling to achieve optimum patient care based on assessments of patient care needs and the capabilities of the Nursing Department staff. * Anticipates, analyzes, interprets, and resolves Hospital and/or Nursing Department problems effectively and recommends appropriate action, when needed.*_Clinical Duties_**: *
* Collaborates closely, when needed, with Hospital departments and/or services in the processing of patient admissions, discharge, and transfer. * May perform the duties outlined on the staff Registered Nurse job description. * Maintains own professional growth and competence in clinical skills and theoretical knowledge of nursing practice.*_General Duties_**: *
* Attends and/or conducts required and applicable Hospital in-service training sessions and other staff meetings. * Ensure compliance with Nursing Department’s performance improvement programs, safety procedures, and Emergency Preparedness Plan procedures, etc., maintaining ongoing feedback to appropriate individuals. * Promotes the Hospital’s image, philosophy, and policies, both internally and externally. * Responsible for a full understanding of nursing procedures within assigned departments. * Demonstrates concern and courtesy to staff, patients, visitors, co-workers, and all others. * Maintains confidentiality of patient information in accordance with Hospital policy and applicable statutes and regulations.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
_Ability to:_ * Supervise all employees on assigned shifts or when given other administrativeresponsibilities in the absence of other Nurse Managers or the CNO/Patient Care Services Officer. * Effectively communicatewith internal staff for purposes of assigning work duties, coaching, counseling, and other duties assigned as a Manager. Contact with others regarding interpretation of Nursing policies and procedures or explanation of services. Contact with Federal, State, and local agencies as may be required * Proficiently use atelephone/fax machine, computer/typewriter, calculator, copier, wheelchairs/stretchers, beeper/two-way radio, van/car and other related equipment associated with a nursing practice. * Stand/walk 90% of the shift, frequent pushing, climbing, bending, reaching, stooping, squatting and helping lift objects and patients ranging from five (5) to three hundred (300) pounds. * Use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties. * Utilize face shields/mask, gloves, protective clothing, safety glasses (when applicable).*_Credentials and Experience Required_*
* Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required. * Five (5) years of related clinical experience * One (1) year prior administrative or managerial experience * Previous demonstration of leadership skills and experience * Current, valid Massachusetts Registered Nurse (“RN) license required. * Professional certification in applicable nursing field(s) preferred. * Certificate as a provider in BLS, ACLS, PALS required; NRP preferred.*_Special Requirements_*
* Must be available to work day, evening and/or night shift as well as rotation on weekends as assigned. Must be able to rotate to units as assigned. * Must be willing to work additional shifts as assigned. * Must be available to stay overnight should need arise during patient transports off island. * May be exposed to the following hazards:temperature fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, infectious diseases and other chemicals as customarily used in a hospital setting. Exposure to various hazards in handling patient transports. * Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties. * Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Nurse Manager, ED/MedSurg - Full Time
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3130558