Nantucket Cottage Hospital Nurse Director - Nantucket Cottage Medical Group, Rural Health Clinic in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Full-time, 40 hours per week, Day shift
Working together with our community to achieve whole person wellness through health and related services.
An island community that enjoys physical, mental, emotional, & spiritual wellness.
The Nurse Director has primary responsibility for coordinating and implementing nursing care for the NCMG Rural Health Clinic. Other responsibilities include assuring competent, compassionate, individualized, nursing care for patients and families provided by the staff, including but not limited to medical assistants, licensed practical nurses, registered nurses, and other allied health staff. This position is accountable for patient safety and quality of care.
In this role, the Nurse Director collaborates with the NCMG Medical Director and VP, Community Medicine to ensure that team-based care is coordinated, comprehensive, and that care transitions are seamless. As part of this NCMG triad leadership team, the Nurse Director is jointly responsible for operational, fiscal, quality and safety, efficiency and effectiveness of the unit. Additionally, the Nurse Director evaluates the clinical staff including medical assistants, licensed practical nurses and registered nurses.
The Nurse Director reports in a solid line to the VP, Community Medicine with a dotted line to the CNO.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Management and evaluation of clinical staff, including but not limited to nursing functions (i.e. triage, infection control, and patient education).
Ensures: o clinical staff are competent.
o support and resources for regular huddle activities.
o training and supervision of clinical staff and monitors performance.
o the safe administration of medications.
Designs evaluates and monitors practice works to ensure service excellence, operational efficiency and maximization of the function of all role groups in his/her managerial scope.
Secures resources for clinical staff.
Coordinates with administrative team on scheduling that assures sufficient staffing.
Interviews and selects clinical staff with input as needed.
Completes the annual performance evaluations for clinical staff and as appropriate, constructively and materially contributes to performance evaluations for other workforce in collaboration.
Provides corrective action as needed in consultation with HR as indicated.
Investigates, evaluates and manages NCH Safety reports as appropriate.
Assures staffing to provide competent, compassionate patient-and-family-centered evidence –based nursing care utilizing the nursing process and interdisciplinary teamwork, and collaboration.
Ensures the appropriate and timely delivery of patient care and/or delegation of appropriate care and treatment to the patient.
Regularly reviews staff clinical documentation to ensure quality and timeliness of completion.
Empowers staff to manage their professional lives, address conflict and participate in the work environment.
Demonstrates and mentors’ behaviors of respect and support for patient and family cultural beliefs and values, individual needs, health goals and treatment preferences.
Collaborates with all members of the healthcare team to ensure coordination of care.
Reviews and follows-up with members of the health care team, to assure that patients have received the necessary care.
Actively engages in creating a healthy, safe, respectful work environment.
Provides leadership to ensure safe, efficient and cost-effective care.
- Maximizes the role of all staff, including mentoring to ensure success, effectiveness, and efficiencies.
- Regularly reviews, designs & proposes, implements and evaluates unit and broader hospital practice clinical protocols, policies and guidelines, including but not limited to unit and staff performance, quality and operational measures in collaboration with triad leadership peers.
Actively evaluates cultural sensitivity and manages issues related to inclusivity within staff, the department and/or with patients.
Identifies opportunities, and solutions, to ensure a safe, efficient and cost-effective practice environment.
Demonstrates and maintains compliance with regulatory requirements.
Participates in quality and safety initiatives.
Participates in operational, capital, and other NCH (e.g., shared staffing, models and pharmacy) budget development process, including but not limited to status in relation to goals/variances, productivity measures, expense reductions, and efficiencies.
Generates innovative ideas to improve care delivery and workflow in the practice environment.
Participates and/or leads committees to improve practice performance.
Precepts and mentors’ new members of the clinical team and emerging leaders.
Holds regular staff meetings.
Develops, implements and sustains regular performance improvement activities.
Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current nursing and management practice.
Adheres to departmental requirements for required training.
Identifies specific learning needs and goals and collaborates with leadership to develop a plan to meet them.
Identifies and facilitates learning opportunities for all staff.
Participate in committees to develop new skills.
Regularly participates in leadership development activities.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required_
- Strong inter-professional collaboration.
- Strong organizational (executive function) skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to rapidly make sound decisions with uncertain information.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and present clinical and operational data.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and develop others.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts required.
- BLS Certification required.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a supervisor or manager in ambulatory care.
- Previous experience in ambulatory care required.
- Certification in Ambulatory Nursing preferred.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
- Will perform as admin on call as necessary.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: *Nurse Director - Nantucket Cottage Medical Group, Rural Health Clinic *
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3228559