Nantucket Cottage Hospital Multi-Service Associate in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Part-time, 20 hours per week, Day shift
Working together with our community to achieve whole person wellness through health and related services.
An island community that enjoys physical, mental, emotional, & spiritual wellness.
Assists in the transportation, preparation and serving of food for patients. Performs a variety of cleaning duties in accordance with established procedures. Practices safe food handling techniques. Fills in for other MSAs that are absent due to vacation, holidays, and illness.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Prepares food and performs sanitation duties in accordance with sanitary regulations and established infection control procedures.
- Reviews patient menus, therapeutic and regular diets prior to setting up tally and tray assembly, assuring that they are in compliance with diet orders
- Administers modifications to patient diets prior to setting up tally and tray assembly as necessary. Informs pertinent department personnel of changes and/or special requests in a timely manner.
- Processes diet changes and new diets as received from the Nursing Department, Dietitian or Physician.
- Communicates food needs for therapeutic diets in accordance with planned menus and established procedures.
- Works with departmental supervisory staff to implement recommended changes as required.
- Offers patients appropriate substitutions whenever necessary.
- Assists the Dietitian with the development and implementation of diet plans and recommended changes for individual patients.
- Interviews patient and/or family members to obtain diet preference, tolerance and allergy as required.
- Maintains a record of patient likes, dislikes, allergies, and tolerances according to established procedure.
- Assures that patient menus are presented, maintained, and filed according to established procedures.
- Assures that meals are served on time; assisting inter-department personnel as may be required.
- May be assigned to drive off-campus to transport patient meals from another location back to the hospital.
- Holds hot foods in steam tables, and cold foods under refrigeration.
- Demonstrates an accurate understanding of HACCP. Practices HACCP principles in all aspects of food preparation, handling and transportation.
- Assembles patient trays prior to distribution. Assures all items are on tray according to established procedures.
- Performs hand hygiene prior to delivering meals to patients.
- Delivers meals to patients and their guests assuring that meals are delivered on time. Requests assistance from appropriate department personnel as may be required. Picks up used patient meal trays and returns them to kitchen.
- Monitors the quality and quantity of food served to patients. Requests correction and/or assistance from appropriate department personnel as necessary.
- Assures that food tally is complete prior to next assigned meal.
- Completes calorie counts and meal intakes as directed by the Dietitian or diet order.
- Fills out production sheets with all pertinent information before the end of each shift. Documents temperatures of food at pick up location and again prior to service.
- Stocks and rotates items for the Diet Kitchen in accordance with sanitary regulations. Ensures that a par level is maintained at an adequate level. Keeps Diet Kitchen clean and organized.
- Cleans and/or defrosts refrigerators in OB and diet kitchen as necessary.
- Assures that a par level of stable foods is maintained at an adequate level at all times.
- Stocks and rotates patient desserts in accordance with sanitary regulations and established procedures. Assures that a par level is maintained at an adequate level.
- Restocks vending machines.
- Assists in maintaining Founders Building kitchen/pantry areas in a clean and organized manner surrounding events held in the Founders Room.
- Responsible for food preparation, set-up, and break down for patient, staff, contract meals, in-house functions, and outside catering as directed.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate food service and office equipment that is appropriate to the position.
- Assists with inventory and storage of in-coming food and supplies as necessary.
- Responsible for placing the orders when the Manager is unable to do so including but not limited to: Beverage Order, Candy Order, Coffee Order, Food Order Cleaning Supplies Order.
- Assists in maintaining the Food Service Department in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Attends department in-services and special meetings.
- Participates in departmental studies and projects. Assists with department’s performance improvement activities.
- Interprets with accuracy department and Hospital policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains rapport with Food Service Department personnel, to assure that services are maintained to meet the needs of the patient and/or customer.
- Develops and maintains rapport with other departments and health professionals within the facility and outside contracts or agencies to assure that services are maintained to meet the needs of the patient and/or customer.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Food Service Manager immediately. Takes appropriate action in absence of supervisory staff.
- Reports all accidents/incidents as established by Hospital policy and procedure.
- Answers department telephones providing routine information, taking messages, and/or referring call to appropriate party.
- Maintains equipment, supplies and work areas in a clean and organized manner. Performs daily or scheduled cleaning duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required_
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to handle stress and work in emergency situations.
- Ability to use a telephone/fax machine, computer/typewriter, and copier. Dishwasher, thermometer, blender/frappe machine, kitchen utensils, coffee maker, microwave, and manual cleaning equipment. Also, use of van/car.
- Ability to stand and walk constantly.
- Ability to lift fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to bend, twist, crouch, squat, pull, push, reach, and remain stationary for short period of times and perform repetitive motions.
- Frequent bending, twisting, crouching, squatting, pulling, pushing, and reaching required, as well as the ability to remain stationary for long periods and perform repetitive motions
- Ability touse hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, taste, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.
- Utilizegloves, safety glasses, and protective clothing (uniform).
- High School Degree or GED required.
- Prior experience of greater than 1 year but not more than 2 years.
- Hospital or institutional food service experience (within the last 5 years).
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Serve Safe Certification within 3 months of hire.
_Required Behavioral Skills_
- Dedication to Excellence:Commitment to work together to meet the needs of those we serve in the most competent, professional and compassionate way.
- Respect:The dignity and individual rights of every patient and employee are seen as the responsibility of every caregiver, employee and patient.
- Integrity:Commitment to the highest personal, organizational and ethical standards; providing patient care in a responsible, accountable manner.
- Quality:Efficient service to the community with the highest level of skill while striving for continuous improvement.
- Confidentiality:Privileged information is protected, and privacy standards are upheld.
- Communication:Effective and appropriate exchange of information with our patients, community, staff and partners in healthcare.
- Safety:Dedicated to providing an emotionally and physically safe and accessible environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Teamwork:Fostering an open, creative, and challenging work environment built on respect.
- Scheduling may be consistently flexible to meet work needs.
- May be exposed to the following hazards:temperature fluctuations, fumes/smoke, noise, dust, cleaning chemicals, walk-in freezer is -10, food expediting requires going out doors, floors often wet, kitchen not air conditioned, kitchen is often crowded with visitors, and use of sharp knives.
- Shift as assigned by manager, work weekend hours consistently required to accomplish job duties/responsibilities. Ability to work up to 12-hour shifts.Works holidays if shift falls on that day.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Job: *Food Services - Other
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Multi-Service Associate
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3152405