Nantucket Cottage Hospital Medical Lab Technician in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Full-time, 40 hours per week, rotating shifts
*Job Summary: *
Collects specimens, performs Quality Control and analytical testing, and evaluates and reports results following theories and principles of prescribed strategies. * * * * _Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_ _Specimen Handling_ * Collects and processes specimens in accordance with Laboratory procedures as follows: o collects specimens and processes correctly; o determines acceptability of specimens submitted to the lab; o notifies Phlebotomist, Nurse or Doctor of unacceptable specimens and documents the incident(s); and o instructs, when applicable, the Phlebotomist, Nurse or Doctor on proper specimen collection * Judges appropriateness of test order and checks questionable order with Laboratory Manager/designee, Nurse or Doctor. * Handles and disposes of laboratory specimens in accordance with laboratory safety procedures using personal protective equipment as required by: o disposing of bio-hazardous waste and sharps correctly; o maintaining a clean work area and disinfects as specified; and o c) consulting safety manual and MSDS when cleaning a spill or disposing of chemical waste. * Must be familiar with LIS (Laboratory Information System).
- Produces accurate results by: o ensuring reported results are corrected with less than 5 errors per year; o ensures corrective reports are sent as soon as possible, and a phone report made to physician/nurse; and o ensures communication log is checked daily for miscellaneous errors.
- Completes testing within designated turn-around time and organizes time effectively.
- Performs troubleshooting when results are abnormal by: o recognizes abnormal results and correlates with the patient’s previous lab work, diagnosis and specimen quality; o is familiar with test method interferences that can cause erroneous results; and o confirms abnormal results before reporting, consulting with Laboratory Manager when appropriate.
- Accurately inventories and replenishes supplies rotating stock and using older supplies first.
- Accepts assignment by Laboratory Manager to serve as primary operator of a lab instrument, developing in-depth knowledge about the analyzer’s operation and maintenance.
- Records and reports test results in accordance with laboratory procedures as follows: o documents review of test results produced by other lab workers as necessary; o calls all panic values to the supervisor and/or physician immediately upon verification of results and documents time and date of call; o phones the results to the appropriate physician or nurse when requested to do so; and o writes reports legibly.
- Performs EKG’s and Holter Monitor’s.
- Performs required QC procedures in accordance with laboratory procedures by: o recording and evaluating QC results at the time they are performed, before patient results are reported; o recognizing out of control results following QC rules in the procedures; o evaluating and troubleshooting out of control results with the help of the Lab Manager or Technologist if necessary; and o documenting problems and resolutions on QC Problem Log.
- Performs required preventive maintenance and function checks on instruments in accordance with laboratory procedures as follows: o following laboratory procedures for operation and maintenance of instruments, documenting results and corrective action for problems; and o keeping instruments clean.
- Notifies Laboratory Manager of problems that cannot be resolved (discrepant results, non-functioning equipment, problems with reagents or QC results) before patient care and work flow is compromised by the delay.
- Answers the telephone as courteously and quickly as possible, taking messages, providing routine information, and/or referring call to appropriate party.
- Files laboratory reports as required.
- Uses appropriate oral and written communication skills to clearly and effectively present relevant ideas or information by: o reporting to Laboratory Manager any problems or suggestions; o exchanging job related information with co-workers; . o awareness of lab changes by attending lab meetings; o communicating with physicians, clients, and co-workers in a courteous manner; o providing support in implementation of new procedures and routines; o contributing to harmonious and effective working environment within the department; o seeking out opportunities to enhance personal professional development; and o reading communication log daily.
_Other Departmental Responsibilities_
- Trains new employees.
- Reviews technical procedures as required and recommends appropriate changes.
- Attend Continuing Education programs, when available, and reads laboratory journals to keep current on new advances in instrumentation, techniques and procedures.
- Assists in collecting data for quality assurance monitor, new method or instrument validation or other special projects
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
- Must be able to demonstrate adequate technical skills and judgment to function unsupervised during on-call, second shift, and weekend hours.
- Ability toassist volunteers and new hires with laboratory procedures
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to handle stress and work in emergency situations. Ability touse of fingers and hands to operate all laboratory-related equipment as described on the Laboratory Department checklist. Additionally, must use beeper, telephone, calculator, fax, and other related office equipment.
- Ability to stand and walk constantly.
- Ability to lift up to forty (40) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to bend, twist, crouch, squat, pull, push, reach, and remain stationary for short period of times and perform repetitive motions.
- Frequent bending, twisting, crouching, squatting, pulling, pushing, and reaching required, as well as the ability to remain stationary for short periods and perform repetitive motions
- Ability touse hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job duties.
_Credentials and Experience Required___
- Associates Degree required.
- At least 1 year’s prior experience preferred.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (“ASLCP”), American Medical Technologies (“AMT”), Health and Human Services (“HHS”) and/or equivalent certification required.
- American Heart Association BLS Certification preferred.
- Although the position generally works the day shift, evening shift assignments, as well as the need to be on-call on a rotating basis for evening/nights, weekends, and holidays are required.
- Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete all job duties.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Job: *MTs/Clinical Lab - Other
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Medical Lab Technician
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3142823