Nantucket Cottage Hospital Medical Lab Tech - New Grads Accepted in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Full-time, 40 hours per week, Rotating shifts
Medical Lab Technicians perform and evaluate complex laboratory tests in various areas of the clinical laboratory. This position requires operation and understanding of complex precision instruments and a variety of automated and electronic equipment. They perform required Quality Control procedures; document results accurately and follow through appropriately on all outliers. Medical Lab Technicians report all critical values to the appropriate person, complete the required documentation, and follow organizational, departmental, and section policies such as Universal Precautions, Fire Safety, QA documentation, Hazardous Waste, etc.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Collects and processes specimens in accordance with Laboratory procedure.
- Performs and reports testing procedures in an accurate manner.
- Performs testing according to department policies with minimal supervision. Recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems.
- Ensures test results correlate with each other and patient's available LIS history. Understands age specific normal values.
- Accurately enters results into the LIS. Timely review all manually entered results.
- Calls all critical results according to policies: Critical Value Reporting (Lab Policy).
- Performs proficiency testing in each department as assigned. Completes competency assessments for each assigned section.
- Prints and reviews pending reports making sure to resolve any problems.
- Participates in Quality Control/Maintenance activities within the department.
- Performs and documents various quality control and equipment procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations. Takes remedial action when necessary. Document and alerts supervisor to unresolved problems.
- Performs routine maintenance on department instruments.
- Trouble shoots downed instruments. Consistently records any problems in instrument logbook. Notifies supervisor or person in charge in a timely manner.
- Completely and accurately reviews, verifies, and or signs/dates all designated documents according to department policies and established timeframes.
- Seeks solutions to resolve unexpected problems that arise. Recognizes when and when not to contact supervisor or person in charge with help resolving issues.
- Restocks work areas with supplies.
- Performs and reports tests within established timeframes.
- Performs routine tests within established timeframes.
- Performs STAT tests as a priority regarding routine tests.
- Prioritizes patient samples over remedial tasks.
- Fosters teamwork by aiding other departments.
- Completes work left from previous shift as required.
- Acknowledges and responds tactfully to requests.
- Remains current with new/revised procedures and methods in the laboratory.
- Adheres to safety standards and is an asset to the department.
- Prevents and takes corrective action for physical safety, sanitation, and infection control within work area.
- Dependable, punctual, and adheres to the policy for covering unscheduled absences.
- Communicates effectively with the next shift.
- Trains new employees.
- Reviews technical procedures as required and recommends appropriate changes.
- Attends Continuing Education programs, when available, and reads laboratory journals to keep current on new advances in instrumentation, techniques and procedures.
- Performs evaluation of new procedures or instruments.
- Assists the Laboratory Manager in developing and implementing Quality Assurance Program, Safety Program, Quality Control Program, Inventory, Special Projects, and Orientation Program for new employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required_
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of tests and procedures necessary to review findings and advise and direct subordinates in action.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, Joint Commission and other regulatory regulations.
- Manual/visual dexterity and skills necessary to operate adjust and make repairs to various types of automated and non-automated laboratory equipment.
- Comprehensive understanding of laboratory equipment and its operation, maintenance and repair and analytic techniques.
- Must understand computer technology and its application to chemical analytical procedures and quality control.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Must be able to perform as a team member, provide leadership, guidance and direction to staff.
- Ability to work independently, evaluate situations and act appropriately.
- Ability to remain calm and productive under constant pressure and emergency situations.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with numerous staff including physicians, hospital personnel, employees and patients.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and to adhere to written protocols.
_Credentials and Experience Required_
- Associate degree required.
- Associates’ level ASCP certification (e.g. MLT) OR equivalent registration (AMT, HEW) ORapplication for registration required within 6 months of employment. If relevant education transcripts are not submitted within 6 months of hire, employment will be terminated
- Six months to one-year experience as an MLT preferred but will consider a new graduate.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
- Exposure to infectious blood, urine, and other body fluids
- Work requires frequent standing, walking and/or occasional lifting or carrying of supplies.
- Ability to lift forty (40) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to bend, twist, crouch, squat, pull, push, reach, and remain stationary for short period of times and perform repetitive motions.
- Day shift and evening shift assignments, as well as the need to be on-call on a rotating basis for evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays required.
- Must be available to work overtime as needed to complete job duties.
Job: *MTs/Clinical Lab - Other
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Medical Lab Tech - New Grads Accepted
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3234006