Nantucket Cottage Hospital Medical Interpreter - Per Diem in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Working together with our community to achieve whole person wellness through health and related services.
An island community that enjoys physical, mental, emotional, & spiritual wellness.
The Medical Interpreter performs a variety of medical and general interpreting services to assist Limited English Proficiency (LEP) patients receiving care within the Nantucket Cottage Hospital System. This position assesses and monitors patients’ understanding of information conveyed to ensure there is an accurate exchange between the patient and health care provider.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Performs accurate and appropriate interpretation skills at all times.
- Establishes and maintains quality service and positive interaction with all patients, visitors, health care providers and employees.
- Participates as a neutral party as solely a conduit of information that must flow between NCH staff and the Limited English Proficiency (LEP) patient/visitors.
- Ensures that information pertaining to the patient’s outpatient services and hospitalization, (i.e. advance directives, consents from treatment, diagnosis and prognosis, treatment plan, follow-up appointments and Health Care Education) are accurately communicated.
- Ensures that patient’s questions/concerns regarding this information is appropriately addressed and documented.
- Provides interpreter services, conveying the exact message without summarizing or altering the information.
- Participates in on call coverage to provide interpretation services as assigned.
- Notifies Supervisor of any issues that may be problematic for patients or NCH staff in a timely manner.
- Maintains accurate records on all requests for service as well as the provision of services and prepares to bring this information to staff meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters related to patient care and visitor issues on Limited English Proficiency (LEP) patients/families/escorts.
- Adheres to the Mission, Vision and Values of NCH.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required_
- Fluency in relevant foreign language(s).
- Current knowledge of medical terminology and procedures.
- Ability to precisely and accurately translate critical medical information.
- Demonstrated technical skills and judgment to function unsupervised.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, time management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Required to pass a fluency test within the first 2 weeks of employment. o The first fluency test is paid by NCH. o Hires who are unable to pass the fluency test within 2 weeks are not qualified to continue in this role.
- Required to pass a Medical Interpretation Certification Course within 12 weeks of employment. o The course is paid by NCH. o The average course length is 8 weeks. o Hires who are unable to pass the course within 12 weeks are not qualified to continue in this role.
_Core Operating Principals_
Through the Lighthouse System of Whole Person Care, NCH strives to:
- LEARN from our patients, families, providers and staff,incorporating feedbackas we grow
- INITIATE apersonal, compassionate connectionwith each patient throughout their health care journey
- GUARANTEEfamily-focused, seamless, equitable and timely accesstoworld-class, high-quality care
- HIGHLIGHT the need to always respectprivacy and patient confidentiality
- THOUGHTFULLYintegrate multi-disciplinary approachesto mind, body and spirit wellness, demonstrablyimproving the health statusof Nantucket residents
- HONORNCH employeesby celebrating their successes, investing in their well-being and promoting diversity and inclusion
- OFFERinclusive, inviting facilitieswhere all people feel welcome
- UNDERSTANDeach patient’s unique story, enabling them to be an active partner in their care
- SECURE afinancially sustainable futurefor NCH
- EXPRESSgratitudefor the essential support provided by our island community
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Medical Interpreter - Per Diem
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3171177