Nantucket Cottage Hospital Medical Assistant - Summer Temp in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Temporary summer position, 40 hours per week, Day & evening shifts
The Medical Assistant (MA) is an integral member of the healthcare team and is accountable for patient care as assigned by a licensed independent provider (Provider: MD, NP, PA), a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or a Registered Nurse (RN). The MA participates in the direct and indirect care of patients, health maintenance, patient instruction, collaborative planning and rehabilitation as within scope of practice and consistent with his/her education and training. The MA may be present in secure medication storage areas and are allowed incidental access to medications. Developing relationships with patients, families and colleagues, the MA functions as an interdisciplinary team member who provides quality patient care and contributes toward the attainment of important goals for the patient, department and the organization.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Accepts assignments for patient care within the scope of his/her preparation and within current standards of practice. In conjunction with the provider, LPN or RN, participates in the gathering of data that contributes to the assessment, planning, and evaluation of care.
- Collaborates as a member of the team, contributing toward a supportive and therapeutic environment that promotes the attainment of patient goals that are specific, measurable, action-oriented, realistic and timely.
- Accurately obtains vital signs, prompts information about the patient’s basic health status, administers relevant care within scope of practice and as directed by the provider/LPN/RN, and documents as appropriate in the electronic health record.
- Performs routine tests including but not limited to electrocardiograms, vision and hearing screening, and the collection of specimens for laboratory testing and point of care.
- Participates in team-based care and patient education initiatives to support the health and wellness of patients in conjunction with the Provider/LPN/RN.
- Reinforces patient instruction as directed by Provider/LPN/RN.
- Participates in organizational and unit-based quality improvement initiatives and compliance readiness.
- Participates in telephone screening of patients; may provide instruction to patient as directed by the provider/LPN/RN.
- Participates in prescription management tasks including pending of new prescriptions and renewals requiring provider approval, prior authorizations and medication reconciliation.
- Follows approved clinical practice guidelines (CPG’s) and workflows, pends appropriate orders for radiology, laboratory testing and other care needs requiring provider authorization.
- Performs a variety of tasks, including administrative and clerical tasks within level of expertise. These can include flow of patients, stocking of rooms, scheduling tasks, prior authorizations, referrals, responding to patient questions both verbally and electronically, and all other duties as assigned.
- Appropriately utilizes organizational resources including management of time, supplies and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required_
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to remain calm in emergency situations.
- Requires lifting, positioning, pushing, reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching and/or transferring of patients.
- English language proficiency in speaking, reading, writing and typing is required.
- Computer, keyboard and typing proficiency required. Must be able to type a minimum of 15 words per minute (WPM).
- High School diploma or GED required.
- BLS certification within 3 months of employment required.
- Experience in a healthcare setting and electronic health records preferred.
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
- Overtime and weekends required as necessary to complete assigned work.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Job: *Medical Assistant
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: Medical Assistant - Summer Temp
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3276156