Nantucket Cottage Hospital CRNA - Per Diem in Nantucket, Massachusetts
Working together with our community to achieve whole person wellness through health and related services.
An island community that enjoys physical, mental, emotional, & spiritual wellness.
The CRNA provides anesthesia services to patients undergoing both surgical and non-surgical procedures at Nantucket Cottage Hospital. The CRNA reviews patient’s medical history, selects type of anesthesia, administers anesthetic, monitors patients during procedures and provides immediate post-anesthesia care. The CRNA may collaborate with anesthesiologists, surgeons or other physicians as needed but otherwise has full practice authority as an anesthesia provider.
_Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities_
- Manages patients’ airway or pulmonary status using techniques such as endotracheal intubation and extubation, mechanical ventilation, pharmacological support, and respiratory therapies.
- Selects, prepares, or uses equipment, monitors, supplies, or drugs for the administration of anesthetics.
- Selects, orders, and administers anesthetics, adjuvant drugs, accessory drugs, fluids or blood products.
- Performs pre-anesthetic screenings including physical evaluations and patient interviews, and documents results.
- Develops and executes an effective anesthetic plan.
- Monitors patients’ responses including skin color, pupil dilation, pulse, heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, ventilation, or urine output using invasive and noninvasive techniques.
- Responds to emergency situations by providing airway management, administering emergency fluids or drugs, or using basic or advanced cardiac life support techniques.
- Develops anesthesia care plans.
- Obtains informed consent from patients for anesthesia procedures.
- Assesses patients’ medical histories to predict anesthesia response.
- Performs and evaluates the results of diagnostic tests such as radiographs (x-rays) and electrocardiograms (EKGs).
- Performs or manages regional anesthetic techniques such as local, spinal, epidural, caudal, nerve blocks and intravenous blocks.
- Evaluates patients’ post-surgical or post-anesthesia responses, taking appropriate corrective actions or requesting consultation if complications occur.
- Administers post-anesthesia medications or fluids to support patients’ cardiovascular systems.
- Discharges patients from post-anesthesia care.
- Instructs nurses, residents, interns, students or other staff on topics such as anesthetic techniques, pain management and emergency responses.
- Maintains quality and safety protocols and follows Hospital policies and procedures.
- Remains up to date with the latest advances in the anesthesia field including the introduction of new medical equipment and techniques.
- Assumes responsibility for own continuing education and developmental needs to maintain competencies; attends meetings, workshops and conventions to enrich personal knowledge, growth and skill in providing care for patients.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
_Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the Position_
_Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required_
- Advanced understanding of anesthesia and other critical nursing skills.
- Demonstrated patient care skills.
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology as related to anesthesia.
- Strong technical skills and has the interest and ability to continue to learn.
- Ability to take direction from and work with personnel at all levels of the organization.
- Strong sense of initiative and perseverance to carry through to completion of tasks; ability to take ownership and responsibility for activities.
- Works efficiently and effectively all aspects of position.
- Ability to utilize appropriate problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills to work effectively with clinicians, administrators, and other professionals.
- Maintain the highest standards of professional conduct; demonstrate forthrightness and integrity.
- Highly motivated, independent and capable of performing in a complex environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly and to ensure confidentiality guidelines are maintained by staff.
- Graduate of accredited nurse anesthesia program.
- Current, valid Registered Nurse (RN) License in the state of Massachusetts.
- Advanced practice license as a Nurse Anesthetist (APRN/NA) issued by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA).
- Current DEA license required. Must continue to maintain active DEA licensure.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification by the American Heart Association.
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification by the American Heart Association.
- Obstetrics and Regional Anesthesia experience required.
- Experience working as an independent CRNA preferred.
- Requires rotation of shifts and roles including being the primary provider or on-call provider.
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared emergency.
Job: *Advanced Practice Nurse
Organization: *Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Title: CRNA - Per Diem
Location: MA-Nantucket-NCH Nantucket Cottage Hospital
Requisition ID: 3203694