Beth Israel Lahey Health Surgical Technician - OR (Full Time) - Bonus Eligible in Milton, Massachusetts
When you join the growing BILH team, you're not just taking a job, you’re making a difference in people’s lives.
Day (United States of America)
eth Israel Deaconess Milton is committed to improving the health of our community by providing exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect for all.
This position is 40 hours per week (4 10-hour shifts, 7:00am - 5:30pm), day shifts with rotating on-call and weekend requirements.
SIGN-ON BONUS $7500
The Operating Room at BID Milton is a close knit team with a shared vision for providing exceptional care and creating a healthy workplace. We have seven operating rooms open for elective procedures Monday to Friday, with night and weekend on-call teams for urgent cases. We provided specialized services to our surgical patients to include orthopedics, robotics, OTO-HNS, plastics, gynecology, genitourinary, general, vascular and neurology. We have a mix of both inpatient and outpatient cases daily with an experienced and professional PACU team.
Surgical Technologists (ST’s) are integral members of the operating room surgical team who work closely with the surgeon, anesthesia team, and R.N. in delivering patient care. Surgical Technologists perform technical and other duties of a specialized and limited nature, relative to
Duties and responsibilities;
Performs job functions in a manner which promotes the safety and health of the worker, co workers, patients, and visitors at Beth Israel Deaconess-Milton Hospital.
Duties are performed under the direct supervision of the Nurse Manager of surgical services and his/her designee:
• Consults with and keeps manager/charge RN informed of activities, needs, and/or problems.
• Complies with established standards. Maintains established department, unit hospital policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance safety, environmental and infection control.
• Follows established routines and utilizes supplies and equipment in a cost effective manner. Maintains a clean, orderly, and safe environment.
• Cooperates with other personnel to achieve department objectives and maintains good employee, interdepartmental and public relations. Maintains patient rights and confidentiality of patient information and abides by established communication channels.
• Receives assignment. Observes proper technique set forth by AST and AORN.
• Sets-up operating rooms. Assists in cleaning operating rooms. After procedure, places instruments in case cart and returns to Central Supply (CSR). Restocks department. Assists circulating nurse when necessary.
• Adheres to Universal Precautions.
• Scrubs for all types of procedures. Possesses knowledge of and practices asepsis and aseptic techniques in performance of duties.
• Assists in maintenance of equipment for proper function and safety
• Understands clean vs. sterile procedure
• Initiates corrective action when break in technique occur
• Inspects sterile items for contamination before and after opening packages or containers
• Maintains sterility while opening sterile items
• Drapes patient maintaining sterile technique
• Posses knowledge of instrumentation and policies related to surgical and endoscopic procedures
• Selects equipment and supplies in an organized, timely, and cost effective manner
• Knowledge of proper functioning of all instruments before use
• Prepares instruments, equipment, and supplies for use in surgical procedures
• Can make simple adjustments to equipment when needed; as well as removing from OR--reporting and arranging for malfunctioning equipment to be serviced
• Set up case carts for scheduled and emergency procedures
• Reprocesses appropriately suspected sterile supplies and instrumentation
• Performs sponge, sharps, and instrument counts according to established policies and procedures
• Initiates corrective actions when counts are incorrect according to established policy and procedures
• Communicates well with patients, families, and staff to provide and receive accurate, reliable information
• Maintains Patient’s Rights and confidentiality
• Reports any problems or changes to nurse manager/charge RN
• Assists in orientation of employees by providing direct teaching and supervision in learning policies and procedures
• Responds in a positive manner to constructive criticism
• Demonstrates tact and understanding when dealing with patients, team members, members of other disciplines, and the public
• Establishes priorities and modified work habits to assure timely completion of assigned work in conformance with the established departmental policies and standards
• Responds appropriately, works cooperatively, and demonstrates sound decision making in daily and emergency situations
• Demonstrates a commitment to service by minimizing delays
Assists in the movement of the patient at the completion of the operative procedure.
Maintains patient safety in the O.R., in performance of duties and reports any hazard or unsafe occurrence to the nurse manager or designee.
• Attends and participates in formal and informal training programs to improve and augment knowledge and skills and to maintain professional growth. Attends and participates in conferences, staff and unit meetings as appropriate.
• Attends mandatory review and educational programs.
• Performs similar or related duties as may be necessary on an emergency, temporary or limited bases, or as assigned.
• All job functions are subject to change at the discretion of the Hospital Administration.
• Obtains and uses information to manage patient care and improve patient outcome. Additional required components:
Employees maintains competencies (position specific and hospital-wide) required for the specific patient population served.
Performs all duties in accordance with safety and other laws, rules, and regulations set forth by appropriate regulatory and government agencies and in accordance with established department and hospital policies and procedures.
May be required to perform similar or related duties as may be necessary on an emergency basis or as designated by the department or supervisor.
The nature of the tasks/responsibilities required of employees in this position will likely expose them to blood and body fluids. Employees will be oriented to and required to understand and follow the standard precautions for infection control. A summary list of tasks and procedures that may cause exposure to blood and fluids is listed in the attached Physical Abilities Job Description. Also identified is the protective gear that is available.
Equivalent to the completion of high school plus a graduate of an accredited school for operating room technicians, and/or equivalent.
A physical abilities job description is a component of the job description.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
BID Milton is offering a $7,500 signing bonus (in three payments over a year) to hired candidates for this position. Candidates will receive $3,500 on the pay period following date of hire, $2,000 once they reach six months of employment, and $2,000 one year following hire date.
• Employees applying internally from within BID Milton or another BILH entity are not eligible for this signing bonus program.
• Re-hires may receive signing bonuses if they terminated their employment with BID Milton more than a year before new hire date. This includes students, volunteers and interns who have worked (paid or unpaid) at BID Milton
• New employees must be in good standing at the bonus payout dates to receive payout.
• Candidates who are referred by a current employee will receive their bonus as part of the employee referral program. Candidates may not receive both a signing bonus and a referral bonus.
• Bonus eligible jobs are subject to change based on the hospital's hiring needs and will be determined by Human Resources on an ongoing basis. HR reserves the right to change the bonus eligible jobs at any time. Additionally, all payouts are subject to standard state and federal tax withholdings and are processed through payroll.
As a health care organization, we have a responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. Beth Israel Lahey Health requires that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Learn more (https://www.bilh.org/newsroom/bilh-to-require-covid-19-influenza-vaccines-for-all-clinicians-staff-by-oct-31) about this requirement.
More than 35,000 people working together. Nurses, doctors, technicians, therapists, researchers, teachers and more, making a difference in patients' lives. Your skill and compassion can make us even stronger.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Beth Israel Lahey Health
- Beth Israel Lahey Health Jobs