Lowell Community Health Center Medical Assistant/Certified Nursing Assistant in Lowell, Massachusetts
Under the direction of a Registered or Licensed Practical Nurse, the medical assistant provides direct patient care and assists other healthcare professionals in examining and treating patients. The medical assistant is clinically knowledgeable about practices, protocols, and procedures, and paper flow. The medical assistant works collaboratively with other disciplines to ensure an integrated approach to patient care and maintains constant communication among the members of the health care team.
- Provides direct and non-direct patient care based on practical and on-the-job training.
- Greets and escorts patients to assigned room or area.
- Measures vital signs such as blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, oxygen saturation, height and weight and records information on patient chart. Prepares the patient for exam.
- Communicates with patients, visitors, and co-workers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Communicates to nursing staff when unable to complete requested task or procedure;
- Assists with selected procedures, such as pap smears, ear irrigation, vision/hearing tests, simple dressing change, fluoride treatments, specimen collection and CPR.
- Helps patients resolve simple issues if necessary, and other duties as assigned.
- Performs non-direct patient care activities such as performing supply inventory and stocks medical supplies in exam rooms.
- Performs inventory of paper supplies and patient forms.
- Takes accurate and complete telephone messages for providers and answers calls according to telephone protocols.
- Translates for providers according to translator standards.
- Assists in retrieving medical records if needed.
- Assists in keeping nursing station and clinic neat and clean, and other duties as assigned.
- Maintains infection control practice at all times, especially with patients requiring isolation/reverse precautions.
- Maintains universal precautions in handling blood/body fluids.
- Maintains TB precautions according to clinic policy.
A graduate of an approved medical assisting program or CNA Program is required. Current CPR certification required. **
Other Job Information (if applicable):
Job Code: 2019-2049-017
Department: FAMILY MEDICINE
FT/PT Status: F/T (40 hrs/wk), Benefit Eligible
Location: 161 Jackson Street, Lowell, MA