Lowell Community Health Center Health Benefits Advisor in Lowell, Massachusetts
SUMMARY The Health Benefits Advisor serves as the Health Center’s primary contact for patient needs such as assisting patients in completing MassHealth and Health Insurance Assistance Program applications; providing information to insured, underinsured and uninsured individuals about coverage and about alternate financing and other financial assistance programs that may be available; and acting as an administrative resource to the health center and or billing staff when problems or questions with eligibility arise.
Screen and assist patients in applying for MassHealth, Connector Care, Qualified Health Plans, Children’s Medical Security Plan, Health Safety Net and other applicable services to arrange needed coverage for medical services, via the states electronic system or paper form application.
Educate and inform patients about their responsibilities, the re-determination process and the importance of maintaining medical coverage.
Conduct follow-up with patients to ensure that the process is complete and assist patients with enrolling into the Primary Care Clinician Plan (PCC) or a Managed Care Organization (MCO) health plan.
Verify patient information and respond to patient requests.
Maintain financial information and handle telephone inquiries regarding account balances while working closely with the billing department
Attend department meetings and trainings as needed to maintain current knowledge of registration processes, health center systems and changes
Work closely with the MassHealth Enrollment Centers as well as the local hospitals.
Track and complete reports as needed
Maintains current knowledge of registration processes, health center systems and changes.
Complete training to become a Certified Application Counselor (CAC) will be required to recertify on an annual basis.
Attend quarterly MassHealth Technical Forums (MTF) meetings as needed
Where needed, provide cross –coverage and back-up staffing support to other functions of the Patient Service Center, including Health Benefits/Patient Benefits, Greeters and Registration services
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience in a customer service related position, preferably in a health care setting.
- Knowledge of Health Care system and insurance eligibility is a plus.
- Experience working with diverse communities and understanding of multi-cultural beliefs, practices, and cultures is a plus.
- Must have effective communication skills both verbally and written.
- Data entry, computer, and phone skills are required.
- Must be able to work independently and possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to multi-task.
- Bi-lingual in English and Portuguese, Spanish, Khmer, or Swahili required.
Other Job Information (if applicable):
Schedule could look like: Monday & Tuesday 8:30-5pm Wednesday 12pm-8pm Thursday 8:30-5pm Friday OFF Saturday 8:00-1:30pm
Job Code: 2019-5197-008
Department: HEALTH BENEFITS
FT/PT Status: F/T (40 hrs/wk), Benefit Eligible
Location: 161 Jackson Street, Lowell, MA