Heywood Hospital Unit Secretary, Geriatric Psych Unit in Gardner, Massachusetts
Under the supervision of the Manager or designee, functions as a member of the health care team who provides clerical and receptionist duties and maintains the physical environment of the unit.
- High school graduate or equivalent required
- One year college or business training preferred
Minimum Work Experience
- Experience with medical terminology preferred
- Word processing skills required.
- Computer skills preferred.
- Possesses ability to set priorities and is well organized.
- Demonstrates a courteous approach and relates well to co-workers and physicians.
Physical Requirements: Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Provides clerical support to clinical staff (e.g. maintains unit files, organizes patient care record, prepares admission and pre-op charts, etc).
- Under direction of nurse, makes all appropriate arrangements for outside services, transfers, and ambulance services in a timely manner.
- Appropriately prioritizes tasks adjusting to changing workload as necessary (e.g. seeks assistance as needed from appropriate resources, recognizes emergency situations, etc.).
- Maintains clean and safe work environment (identifies and/or removes safety hazards).
- Performs thorough, timely, and accurate transcription of physicians’ orders (including entering into Meditech OE module where utilized).
- Performs support functions to manager/director such as payroll, copying, typing, etc.
- Participates in the learning for colleagues and self (e.g. assist with orientation of new staff in-services, educational programs, etc.).
- Greets, directs, and provides appropriate information to patients, visitors and hospital personnel.
- Follows-up with customers to ensure their needs are met.
- Coordinates patient testing and consultation with ancillary services as directed.
- Coordinates staff scheduling under the supervision of GPU.
- Facilitates the completion of patient charts after patients have been discharged.
- Organizes discharged patient charts and follows-up with the GPU staff to assure that the chart has been completed, to ensure that GPU Medical Record Guidelines are met.
- Delivers discharged patient charts to Medical Records within two days of discharge.
- Types documents as requested by the Medical Director or other Psychiatrist.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. GERIATRIC PSYCH,2000.45340
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 2000.45340.8284
Position Hours: 8
Weekend Frequency: Every other Week end
Holiday Rotation: Every other
Job Title: Unit Secretary, Geriatric Psych Unit
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 02/10/2021