Heywood Hospital Secretary, Radiology in Gardner, Massachusetts
This position is responsible for greeting patients at the Radiology front desk. Follow current hospital and department procedures to properly register the patient for procedures. Answering patient and other hospital staff questions in person and on the phone is required. The radiology secretary will be involved with scheduling all types of Radiology procedures while coordinating schedules with central scheduling, Radiologists, Technologists, other physicians, and other hospital departments. This position will also perform other general support tasks and image library duties.
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- One year college or business training preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- Knowledge of Meditech preferred
- Experience with medical terminology preferred
* * Excellent word processing & computer skills required * Excellent telephone skills also required * Ability to practice time management skills and is self-motivated * Ability to think quickly in emergency situation
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Coordinates the scheduling of exams so that all exams are scheduled correctly with all parties involved contacted.
- Utilizes the hospital telephone and computer scheduling system, to schedule all exams for the Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound and Cat Scan Departments.
- Provides assistance and direction, via telephone and computer, to physician office staff in the correct scheduling of examinations.
- Operates the hospital computer system to ensure correct exams are performed, charges are accurate and for monitoring of film tracking.
- Utilizes the hospital computer system to enter physician orders, ensure correct exams are performed and charges are accurate.
- Utilizes the hospital computer system to enter information for the release and tracking of patient’s exam releases and to obtain accurate medical record information.
- Coordinates the image library so that records are available upon patient request.
- Locates prior exams, ensures all prior records are correct, and coordinates exam releases and tracking.
- Provides patient instructions and exam preparations so that patients understand the exam that is going to be performed and prepared for the exam.
- Provides exam preparations to the patient by using pre-printed materials.
- Coordinates the arrival of all patients to Radiology so patients arrive on time, feel welcome and so other departments know ahead of time when patients are to arrive in Radiology.
- Coordinates the patient flow to the correct department and greets patients in a positive and professional manner.
- Communicates the arrival of patients to specific departments.
- Ensures accuracy of all patient information at time of scheduling.
- Assures that the environment of care or services is free of objects which may contribute to the likelihood of patient falls, slips or trips. Makes readily available assistive devices for ambulation. Complies with policies and procedures relating to gait belts and similar devices.
- Is aware of the increased risk of falls, slips, and trips for elderly patients and visitors, and assures that the environment of care or services is free of objects and spills which may contribute to the likelihood of patient falls, slips, or trips.
- Is sensitive to the tendency of older patients to have hearing difficulties. Verifies that he or she is speaking with appropriate level of loudness so that the patient hears instructions, questions, and conversations with caregiver, but that offense is not given to the patient as the result of the voice being excessively loud. Is able to differentiate problems with hearing versus problems with comprehension.
- Takes appropriate actions to assure physical security of children and complies with policies and procedures related to the prevention of neonate, infant and child abduction.
- Is aware of reduced endurance and strength present in many elderly, and provides accommodation for seating during extended discussions.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. X-RAY,6610
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 661083600603
Position Hours: per diem
Weekend Frequency: rotating if needed
Holiday Rotation: rotating if needed
Job Title: Secretary, Radiology
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 11/20/2018