Heywood Hospital Radiology Technologist, Mammography in Gardner, Massachusetts
Conducts interactions with everyone in a friendly, courteous and respectful manner. Assures that all mammograms are of optimum quality so that image repeat analysis is less than five percent. Follows pre-determined image criteria to assess mammograms to ensure all patients are well positioned and all anatomical information is on each view. Operates all mammographic and processing equipment to ensure proper image quality. Assist in the collection of information to maintain QC program. Accurately enters orders and charging procedures into the Meditech computer system.
- Graduate of an accredited school of Radiology Technology, or equivalent experience
- Registered by the ARRT
Minimum Work Experience
- Previous experience performing Digital Mammography procedures or equivalent experience as determined by the department manager.
- Radiologic Technologists and Technicians, Current MA Licensed Mammography required
- CPR certification
- Quality conscious; interpersonal skills; flexible in achieving multiple tasks; dependable; organized; independent judgment; high technical skills
Exerts 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands). Occasionally stoop (bending the body downward and forward by bending the spine at the waist), crouches (bending the body downward and forward by bending legs and spine), and feels (perceiving attributes of items as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of the fingertips).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Assures that all mammograms are of optimum quality so that film repeat analysis is less than five percent.
- Follows pre-determined image criteria to assess mammograms to ensure all patients are well positioned and all anatomical information is on each view.
- Assures that all films include markers, demographic information, and proper film density and contrast.
- Operates all mammographic and processing equipment to ensure proper image quality.
- Assesses patients to ensure optimum exposure techniques. For women of childbearing age (specify ages suggest 13 – 55) appropriate precautions are taken to determine if the patient may be pregnant. For pregnant women, extra precautions are taken to minimize exposure to radioactive sonics and/or potentially harmful radiation.
- Utilizes collimation, safety measures and protective devices.
- Reviews orders for accuracy prior to start of examination to ensure that the appropriate exam is completed.
- Reviews physician orders to determine that the correct examination has been ordered based on the clinical history provided.
- Documents on the requisition that they have reviewed the order and initial they have completed the examination.
- Accurately enters orders and charging procedures into the Meditech Computer System.
- Operates the hospital computer system for scheduling of exams, film releases, film tracking, and entering of patient information into the Meditech Computer System.
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly Quality Control testing on film processors and mammography equipment as required.
- Accurately records results of Quality Control testing.
- Assures that all Quality Control results are within established parameters before proceeding with patient examinations.
- Assures that corrective measures have been taken and have resolved Quality Control results that are out of compliance by repeating Quality Control activity.
- Assists with data collection as required by various credentialing bodies, under the direction of the Mammography Coordinator.
- Accurately assembles patient information and films to present to radiologists for interpretation and loads film viewer in an orderly fashion.
- Completes all licensing requirements and maintains proper documentation.
- Properly utilizes and maintains all mammography equipment and accessories.
- Performs needle localization procedures, under the supervision of the radiologist, in an efficient, safe and complete manner.
- Assures that the environment of care or services is free of objects which may contribute to the likelihood of patient falls, slips or trips. Makes readily available assistive devices for ambulation. Complies with policies and procedures relating to gait belts and similar devices.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients by assuring that sharp objects, toxic substances and other objects potentially harmful to children are not accessible.
- Is sensitive to the tendency of older patients to have hearing difficulties. Verifies that he or she is speaking with appropriate level of loudness so that the patient hears instructions, questions, and conversations with caregiver, but that offense is not given to the patient as the result of the voice being excessively loud. Is able to differentiate problems with hearing versus problems with comprehension.
- Correctly interprets verbal and nonverbal response pain management treatments. Takes appropriate action to minimize the patient’s level of pain by utilizing various pain management techniques and methods.
- Takes appropriate actions to assure physical security of children and complies with policies and procedures related to the prevention of neonate, infant and child abduction.
- Is aware of reduced endurance and strength present in many elderly, and provides accommodation for seating during extended interviews, discussions with secretaries, receptionists and other clerical personnel, or when the patient is waiting for transportation.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. MAMMOGRAPHY,6609
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 660920110603
Position Hours: Per Diem
Weekend Frequency: Rotating
Holiday Rotation: Rotating
Job Title: Radiology Technologist, Mammography
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 11/17/2020