Heywood Hospital Patient Registrar, Patient Registration in Gardner, Massachusetts
Responsible for the accurate and timely registration and scheduling of patients. Will work in a variety of settings including: ER, Admitting and the Scheduling Office. Also provides coverage for the switchboard operators and scheduling office staff. Register patient accounts, insurance and ensure authorizations are valid.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Formal training beyond High School diploma preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- Medical terminology, spelling competence and computer experience essential. Referral and/or third party experience billing preferable. Knowledge of Meditech.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision is essential.
- Must be able to deal effectively and courteously with the public, physicians and all hospital personnel in a high volume setting.
- Accuracy is critical for patient care and financial purposes.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Initiates the Patient Registration process by conducting a thorough interview to obtain accurate patient demographics and insurance information.
- Obtains a signature from the patient or the patient’s representative to ensure the appropriate signatures are on file in Medical Records.
- Contacts insurance companies to verify insurance eligibility, benefits and mailing address within 24 hours of admission for inpatient, observations and SDC accounts
- Collaborates with the patient care staff to determine bed assignments so the
- Emergency Department and physicians are notified of bed availability and charts are delivered to the floor as soon as possible. Bed Board efficient.
- Contacts insurance companies to verify insurances eligibility for outpatient accounts.
- Obtains surgery information from the surgeon’s office and generates pre-operation and surgical account numbers.
- Facilitates the admitting portion of the pre-operative testing process, so there is a smooth process flow of patient’s to Surgical Day Care, with the correct account information.
- Prioritizes and reprioritizes work based on the changing needs of the customers.
- When assigned to cover scheduling operations, performs all job duties assigned to this position.
- Accurately files outpatient orders and has a working knowledge in standing orders and the process of notifying MD of expiration date.
- Assists manager, as directed, in the training of new employees regarding patient registration processes in an accurate and complete manner.
- Maintains a working knowledge of registration policies and procedures and provides coverage for the ED Registration staff for breaks and days off. Assists the ED staff during times of high ED volume and/or trauma.
- Maintains a working knowledge of Admitting, Outpatient, and ED Registration computer down-time procedures.
- Contributes to the design, development, and maintenance of systems that help the department run efficiently.
- Reflects a positive attitude in daily work. Is receptive, cooperative, committed, and optimistic.
- Job performance reflects compliance with Heywood’s performance standards:
- Telephone etiquette, providing directions, first impressions, and patient wait times.
- When assigned to the receptionist desk; performs all job responsibilities associated to this position.
- Access all electronic and web based payers to obtain eligibility information.
- Registers MABR’s within one hour of receipt.
- Contacts insurance companies and MD offices to ensure Endo authorizations are completed and accurate.
- Immediately notifies supervisor of any backlogs or obstacles that prevent completion of assigned duties.
- Attends a minimum of 8 department staff meetings per year.
- When assigned to cover the switchboard operations, performs all job duties assigned to this position.
- Completes all status changes accurately and notifies the insurance companies if needed.
- Correctly spells all information, especially diagnosis on all documents.
- Accurately compiles daily, weekly, and monthly data and statistics as requested. This includes the daily duty board.
- Accurately inputs and scans insurance authorizations when paperwork is provided. C
- Can recognize problems that occur and contacts insurance company or MD office.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. PATIENT REGIS.,6180
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 618082400404
Position Hours: Per Diem
Shift: All Shifts
Weekend Frequency: Every other
Holiday Rotation: Every other
Job Title: Patient Registrar, Patient Registration
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 02/13/2018