Heywood Hospital Medical Scribe in Gardner, Massachusetts
- 1 year in a medical office preferred
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Scribe Certification preferred
- The ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Medical Scribes must be proficient in typing and good at spelling, punctuation, grammar, and oral communication. Must be able to listen to complex medical information and summarize in a clear, complete, and concise fashion. Excellent English composition skills required to generate professional, polished writing at a high rate of production. Handwriting must be clear and legible.
- Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, diagnostic procedures, pharmacology, and treatment assessments to the extent required to understand and accurately transcribe dictated reports. Translate medical abbreviations into their expanded forms.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, tact, and professional appearance.
- Proficiency with computers and electronic medical records is required.
- Ability to work flexible shifts, evening, and weekends required.
- Reliable transportation for travel between locations required.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
- Accurately and thoroughly document medical visits and procedures as they are being performed by the physician. Including but not limited to: patient medical history and physical exam, procedures and treatments performed by the provider, patient education and explanations of risks and benefits, provider dictated diagnoses, prescriptions and instructions for patient or family members for self-care and follow up, prepare referral letters as directed by provider.
- List all proper diagnoses and symptoms as well as follow up instructions and prescriptions as dictated by the physician.
- Transcribe patient orders including laboratory tests, radiology tests, medications, etc.
- Scribe ensures patients are welcomed in a warm and friendly manner and sees their needs and expectations are met.
- MA Scribe is responsible for ensuring the smooth operations in a fast paced environment of the clinic with the goal of a positive patient experience with every encounter.
- Provides patient care by assisting with implementation of care plans. Assesses health status, documents interventions and evaluates patient progress following standard procedures.
- Perform order reconciliation function and order completion function for providers and team.
- Dictation, faxing, phone calls and clerical tasks.
- Prepare referral letters as directed by the provider, via dictation or summary of the medical record. Medical Scribe also ensure that letters are mailed or faxed on a daily basis to all providers involved in a patient’s care, and with all copies of pertinent reports or tests attached. You may be asked to research contact information for referring physicians, coordinate referrals, prepare operative reports, make phone calls, and other clerical tasks as assigned.
- Performs a variety of clerical functions to support office such as typing, filing, scheduling appointments, making phone calls and related duties as required or directed.
- Coordinates patient flow and prepares patient for examination.
- Assist in triaging medical calls as per office protocol. Returns patient calls and documents in patient record as required or directed. Calls in prescriptions and refills as directed. Document prescription calls.
- Reviews laboratory results. Ensures abnormal results are brought to the attention of the physician and others as appropriate.
- Maintains records, reports, logs and other statistical information as required or directed.
- Processes Medical Records incoming and outgoing according to practice guidelines and regulations
- Schedules and coordinates patient visits and medical procedures, for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Registers patients for each patient visit, utilizing computer based registration/scheduling system
- Verifies patients insurance coverage and eligibility
- Medical Scribes also spot mistakes or inconsistencies in medical documentation and check to correct the information in order to reduce errors. All addenda must be signed off by a provider. Medical Scribes ensure that all clinical data, lab or other test results, the interpretation of the results by the provider are recorded accurately in the medical record. Alert provider when chart is incomplete. Medical Scribes must comply with specific standards that apply to the style of medical records and to the legal and ethical requirements for preparing medical documents and for keeping patient information confidential.
- Issues and verifies patients managed care referral.
- Collects copays from patients for visits, maintains records and reconciles daily deposits
- Completes tasks associated with inbox/ practice buckets (personal, practice referral, medical record and others assigned) proficiently and in a timely manner
- Medical Scribes collect, organize and catalog data for provider quality reporting system and other quality improvement efforts and format for submission. You will assist in developing and maintaining systems to track patient follow up and compliance.
- Attend trainings on diverse subjects such as information technology, legal, HIPAA and regulatory compliance, billing and coding. Quickly assimilate new knowledge into processes and procedures. Medical Scribes proofread and edit all the providers’ medical documents for accuracy, spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives
- Demonstrates use of quality improvement in daily operations
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements
- Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes in maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors. Attends all H.E.A.R.T trainings
- Provide coverage when needed at other locations within Heywood Medical Group
- Completes all Annual Mandatory Education as required.
- All other duties and locations as assigned.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. ONCOLOGY PHYS,6553
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 20027009XXXX
Position Hours: 40
Job Title: Medical Scribe
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 12/23/2020