Heywood Hospital Medical Assistant, Spine/Pain Clinic in Gardner, Massachusetts
Under the direction of Director and/or Physician, incumbent is responsible for assisting with patient care and medical office clinical support and clerical functions. Clinical duties include: Scheduling tests, obtaining and recording patient health information, including vitals and injections, point of care testing, and rooming patients. Perform phlebotomy services/administer vaccines. Clerical duties include: Answering phones, appointment scheduling, providing patient education, insurance verification, referral processing, scheduling of outpatient services at Heywood Hospital, manage daily deposits, answering phones, arriving patients, process incoming faxes and daily mail. Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
Minimum Work Experience
- Minimum one year experience as an MA in medical office setting preferred
Minimum Licenses and Certifications
- [Massachusetts, United States] Medical Assistants Medical Assistant Certificate or License strongly preferred.Current CPR certification required.
- Computer proficiency and excellent customer service skills required.Ability to maintain strict compliance with HIPAA regulations is required.Completion of phlebotomy training course or currently possesses phlebotomy skills.
Exerts 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequently kneels (bending the legs at knee to come to rest on knee or knees), reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and feels (perceiving attributes of items as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of fingertips). Occasionally crouches (bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine), and stoops (bending the body downward and forward by bending the spine at the waist).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Prepares patients for physician clinic visits so that physicians can proceed with examinations without delay and so patients have their basic concerns met and questions answered.
- Coordinates all aspects of patient readiness for physician examination such as, obtains and documents vital signs, glucometer testing, pulse oximetry levels, weight and reason for visit, as well as, places patients in exam room with the appropriate attire for exam.
- Maintains established par levels of all medical supplies so that physicians and nursing staff have access to adequate supplies and materials.
- Orders all medical supplies for the clinical department, as well as, restocks shelves and files for physicians and nurses
- Creates, copies, and distributes clerical materials and educational literature as needed for daily clinic activities.
- Assists patients, physicians and nurses with complex treatments, infusion room set ups, special procedures and the retrieval of patient information so that medical records are organized with up to date results for physician review and physicians are provided with test results requested to ensure patients receive appropriate applications.
- Identifies the correct patient to receive Laboratory Service, verifies physician orders, as well as, posts orders to ensure appropriate follow up.
- Obtains patient laboratory samples according to policy and procedures outlined in the Heywood Hospital Laboratory Manual.
- Assures that the patient exams, tests and/or procedures are consistent with the nature of patient’s needs and orders.
- Identifies variations from expected findings and/or test values.
- Takes appropriate actions when variations are identified.
- Assists in the admission and discharge of patients to expedite care.
- Assists with the transfer of patients to and from other departments utilizing appropriate technique (i.e. body mechanics, transfer mattress).
- Collaborates with the secretary in the registering of patients, covering the desk, and pulling and maintaining the patient schedule.
- Provides clerical support to clinical staff (e.g. maintains unit files, organizes patient care record, prepares admission and pre-op charts, etc).
- Under direction of nurse, makes all appropriate arrangements for outside services, transfers, and ambulance services in a timely manner.
- Appropriately prioritizes tasks adjusting to changing workload as necessary (e.g. seeks assistance as needed from appropriate resources, recognizes emergency situations, etc.).
- Maintains clean and safe work environment (identifies and/or removes safety hazards).
- Performs thorough, timely, and accurate transcription of physicians’ orders (including entering into Meditech OE module where utilized).
- Performs support functions to manager/director such as payroll, copying, typing, etc.
- Participates in the learning for colleagues and self (e.g. assist with orientation of new staff in-services, educational programs, etc.).
- Schedules patients for outpatient clinics, chemotherapy and other procedures through the Community Wide Scheduling Module.
- Inputs all pertinent patient data for scheduling such as referral and/or approval numbers, in collaboration with physician office.
- Prints, posts and updates schedules on a daily basis.
- Supports physicians and nursing staff in patient care coordination.
- Establishes and maintains a good working relationship with patients, physicians, physician's office staff, visitors and other members of the health care team through responsiveness, accuracy of information and professionalism.
- Coordinates the flow of patients entering and leaving the department to ensure smooth functioning of the department.
- Greets patients and verifies patient demographics as they enter Special Procedures.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. UMASS/SPEC CLIN,6554
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 655450700102
Position Hours: 40
Job Title: Medical Assistant, Spine/Pain Clinic
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 09/28/2020