Heywood Hospital Diet Technician, Nutrition in Gardner, Massachusetts
Distributes/collect patient menus. Assist patients in understanding and competing menus. Modifies/corrects menus to meet requirements of therapeutic diets. Tally specific menu items. Records/maintains al pertinent dietary information of patients utilizing the Kardex system. Oversees the distribution of tube feedings. Maintains inventory of nutritional supplements. Communicates nutritional concerns of patients to dietitian.
- High School Diploma required
Minimum Work Experience
- Experience in Food Service (healthcare) preferred
- Strong people skills.
Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Frequently reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and handles (seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or working with hands).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order; flexibility; initiative; self confidence; customer service oriented; interpersonal effectiveness; teamwork; analytical thinking and information seeking
- Conducts interactions with everyone in a friendly, courteous and respectful manner.
- Goes out of his/her way to offer assistance to others. If he/she cannot offer assistance, then finds someone who can.
- Advocates to ensure privacy and confidentiality while helping others to maintain awareness.
- Maintains a clean and safe hospital.
- Responds appropriately and immediately in emergency situations.
- Maintains a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors, and/or staff to provide the highest level of physical comfort, and minimize risk and injury.
- Ensures compliance with regulations to maintain accreditation and licensure.
- Complies with the Hospital Attendance and Tardiness Policy.
- Completed all Hospital and Department Specific Mandatory requirements in the prior calendar year.
- Reports Incidents in a timely and effective manner.
- All employees with direct patient contact are responsible for actively engaging in the practice of, monitoring and enforcing compliance to hand hygiene
- Records all pertinent dietary information on the diet order sheet and files the diet order sheet in the appropriate location to ensure therapeutic and preferential accuracy on menus and nourishments.
- Inputs and/or edits pertinent dietary data, such as nourishments, into the Meditech Computer System; prints labels, provides lists to the units and production sheets to the Food Service Department to ensure information accuracy across all departments.
- Modifies/corrects patient menus using meal plans and patient data files, assuring that selection and portions are appropriate for age and feeding ability and meet therapeutic diet care plans.
- Communicates problems/discrepancies to appropriate staff to ensure diet orders and supplements are verified and accurate.
- Highlights all special needs, (i.e. allergies, adaptive equipment,) and ensures all data are identified in “red” on menus to optimize patient safety and comfort, and to support nutritional goals.
- Oversees the production, accurate labeling and distribution of tube feedings and supplemental products so that supplies are readily available and patients receive tube feedings and supplemental products accurately and at the proper time.
- Provides support to patients, as needed, to complete menus and communicate learning needs to the Registered Dietitian.
- Educates patients on routine diet modifications as appropriate using approved teaching materials.
- Responds immediately to the requests and needs of patients and customers.
- Maintains a clean and comfortable environment for patients and visitors.
- Removes or arranges for removal of safety hazards from environment immediately to prevent potential safety hazards from occurring
- Prioritizes and reprioritizes work based on the changing needs of the customers.
- Keeps equipment in clean and working condition.
- Maintains materials and supplies to do job.
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. FOOD SERVICE-,6820
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 2000.68274.2090
Position Hours: Per Diem
Weekend Frequency: Minimum Every other
Holiday Rotation: Minimum Every Other
Job Title: Diet Technician, Nutrition
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 01/31/2021