Heywood Hospital Critical Care Technician/Unit Secretary, Intensive Care Unit in Gardner, Massachusetts
The Critical Care Tech acts as a vital member of the patient care delivery team, performing delegated nursing duties, environmental services duties, and food service duties to enhance the satisfaction level of the hospitalized patient. Depending upon census, may be required to float to other units in the hospital.
- High school graduate or equivalent preferred.
Minimum Work Experience
- ICU or ED experience strongly preferred
Minimum Licenses and Certifications
- AHA BLS Certification Required
- CNA/Paramedic/EMT preferred
- Acquired Critical Care Technician (CCT) competency as demonstrated by continuous employment in a CCT role with Heywood Healthcare for a period of 12 months
- Ability to respond & maintain composure during urgent and stressful situations.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with medical terminology preferred.
- Excellent word processing skills required.
- Computer skills required.
Exerts up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Frequently kneels (bending the legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knee), reaches (extending hands and arms in any direction), and feels (perceiving attributes of items as size, shape, temperature, or texture by means of fingertips). Occasionally crouches (bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine), and stoops (bending the body downward and forward by bending the spine at the waist).
The following behavioral attributes are required: achievement motivation, concern for order, flexibility, initiative, self-confidence, customer service oriented, interpersonal effectiveness, teamwork, analytical thinking and information seeking.
- Provides clerical support to clinical staff (e.g. maintains unit files, organizes patient care record, prepares admission and pre-op charts, etc).
- Under direction of nurse, makes all appropriate arrangements for outside services, transfers, and ambulance services in a timely manner.
- Appropriately prioritizes tasks adjusting to changing workload as necessary (e.g. seeks assistance as needed from appropriate resources, recognizes emergency situations, etc.).
- Maintains clean and safe work environment (identifies and/or removes safety hazards).
- Performs thorough, timely, and accurate transcription of physicians’ orders (including entering into Meditech OE module where utilized).
- Participates in the learning for colleagues and self (e.g. assist with orientation of new staff in-services, educational programs, etc.).
- Updates ICU log books daily.
- Assists with clerical activities, callout replacements and other duties associated with staffing and scheduling for ICU.
- Coordinates clerical activities associated with patient care, so patients receive appropriate testing without delay.
- Immediately enters patient orders into the computer completely and accurately.
- Coordinates patient testing by calling ancillary departments upon request.
- Facilitates communication between the nursing unit and other departments so that everyone involved has current and accurate information as to patient's care.
- Answers the telephone and communicates information to parties involved to avoid delays in patient care.
- Facilitates transfers and discharges through retrieving and copying medical records and sending and receiving faxes as needed.
- Assists with facilitating room turnover to reduce the wait time of admissions.
- Works together with departmental and healthcare teams to complete assignments.
- Maintains a clean and comfortable environment for patients and visitors.
- Removes or arranges for removal of safety hazards from environment immediately to prevent potential safety hazards from occurring.
- Assists patient, physician and nurse during procedures, assisting during procedure as needed.
- Assists in the admission and discharge of patients to expedite care.
- Assists in the collection, labeling and delivery of routine specimens.
- Observes, reports and records vital signs and intake and output as directed by the registered nurse and in accordance with Patient Care Service’s Standards.
- Performs EKG’s, according to standard policies and procedures.
- Performs Glucometer testing according to standard policies and procedures on patients 15 years or older. (This is dependent on completed competency).
- Performs blood draws according to standard policies and procedures on patients 15 years or older. (This is dependent on completed competency).
Statement of Other Duties
This document describes the major duties and responsibilities for this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that employees may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
Facility: Heywood Hospital
Department: HH. I.C.U.,6430
Regular or Temporary Position: Regular
Position Control #: 643051600601
Position Hours: per diem
Shift: Per Diem
Job Title: Critical Care Technician/Unit Secretary, Intensive Care Unit
Location: Gardner, Massachusetts
Posted Date: 03/25/2020